Wish Advanced Paths-Configuration

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I would like to have an Advanced Paths configuration, as shown in the picture, or similar.
My goal is to have project specific library for certain projects.

I thank you in advance.

1688891637361.png

toby

Licensed User
Longtime User
My goal is to have project specific library for certain projects.

I don't see the need for such a folder which would defeat the main purpose of libraries: code reuse by different projects. If a library is just for a single project, then it shouldn't be compiled into a library in the first place; its source code should be added to the project instead.

For example, if you have modified a b4xlib file only for a single project, it's better to add directly the modified source code to the project than have a modified library in the proposed project-specific library folder.

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't see the need for such a folder which would defeat the main purpose of libraries: code reuse by different projects. If a library is just for a single project, then it shouldn't be compiled into a library in the first place; its source code should be added to the project instead.

For example, if you have modified a b4xlib file only for a single project, it's better to add directly the modified source code to the project than have a modified library in the proposed project-specific library folder.
This is just a wish of mine, it may be that not everyone considers it necessary, but it should be respected.
You should not always try to make someone's wishes worse.

toby

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is just a wish of mine, it may be that not everyone considers it necessary, but it should be respected.
The majority's desire shouldn't be ignored just to make your wish come true. If your wish causes pain to others, that's not a good wish.

A library is designed to be reused by different programs, which every beginner programmer should know.
"a library is organized for the purposes of being reused by independent programs or sub-programs, ..." source

You should not always try to make someone's wishes worse.
I've certainly got more credits than I deserve and I'm all ears to hear the details.

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The majority's desire shouldn't be ignored just to make your wish come true. If your wish causes pain to others, that's not a good wish.
Why should my wish cause pain to others? It should only be optional, just like the IDE-Option "Auto Backup".
I don't need this option, but I don't say that it pain me, I just need to disable it.

Besides, how do you know exactly what most people think? Have you already started a survey?

I've certainly got more credits than I deserve and I'm all ears to hear the details.
My answer was not addressed to you, but only in general terms.