Android Question Allowing Users to "draw" on Phone/Tablet Screen

Mike Webster

Licensed User
I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction. I have an application that I am developing that will be used by roof inspectors inspecting the roof of commercial buildings. I have most of the application done including taking photos, storing the data in a database and sending it to the server but I am looking to add one more thing. I want users to be able to capture a Google Maps/Google Earth satellite view of the roof they are inspecting and then use the touch screen of the phone/tablet they are using to mark-up/draw on top of the satellite image. The marked up image would then be saved and later uploaded to the server (in the same way as other photos are). I was going to start experimenting with the Google Maps library but I was not sure about the drawing aspect of it. Any suggestions or tutorials you can point me to?

Thanks in advance.

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Search for "drawing on screen" or "draw a signature" and you'll find several examples (like this one)
Another option is this lib (it looks it does what you need, a background image plus free-hand drawing)
Generally speaking, there are quite a few alternatives to choose from. The best candidate depends on your needs

Upvote 1