Amazon marketplace experience

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

I submitted my App to the Amazon market, has anyone else done this and if so would you care to share any experiences about it?

I am mainly interested in the download numbers, compared to the Android Market, the time it took to get market approval and the DRM (which was recommend).. Of course there may be a whole raft of other information I'm not even aware of..!

Mtia

ssg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I've submitted to amazon's appstore.

My math genius game (posted here too: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-share-your-creations/9330-math-genius-game.html ) managed to make 4 sales in about 3 months...

and my other game, balltapp, which has over 14k downloads in android market, just hit 25 downloads in amazon after more than 3 months...

approval took about 2 weeks back then... and i guess i've kinda given up on amazon for now... approval for app updates takes a whole lot faster, usually less than a week.

also, have you considered slideme.org?

lets us know how yours went.... and good luck!

Upvote 0

ssg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just do a lookout on slideme...

try this experiment:

1 - upload a new app on slideme
2 - app will be in "waiting for approval" state
3 - go to your profile, you will see your app there
4 - look at your download count, it would be zero (no downloads yet as no one else can see your app)
5 - download your own app (yes you can download your own app)
6 - refresh your browser
7 - look at download count (mine ALWAYS shows 2, when it should be 1)

I believe slideme manipulates their download counts to make it seem like you are getting more than what you really are getting.

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Cheers, my App is only free anyway, so numbers of downloads don't matter a jot. It's more about increasing exposure and getting more Admob impressions and hopefully clicks for me at the moment!

Upvote 0

Kevin

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a question, though this applies not only to the Amazon market, but also Android (official) and others.....

If I have two versions of my app (lite and paid), which needs to be changed? The PACKAGE NAME, APPLICATION LABEL, or both?

One reason I am asking is because I am using the default path for my app's settings, which is based on the package name, but if a user buys the full version and the package name is different, then they would lose their settings. So in that case, I want to use a custom-defined path. On the other hand, if I can keep the package name the same and just change the label, it wouldn't matter. I am thinking the package name should change and the label would typically stay the same. Is this correct?

Not only which of these do I need to change, but is it the same rules in every market?

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would upload them as Erel mentions, different APKs, otherwise it could get messy.. This is with the "new regime" aside, which does allow you to upload multiple versions of the same App, therefore probably same APK, but with different physical device support (mostly for Java devs, to support tablets and phones separately).

Slideme was approved a couple of days ago! :) 150+ downloads already

Amazon approved tonight! :)

Upvote 0

ssg

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Kamac,

Android market is still the biggest... slideme is good for an extra marketplace to publish your apps, but not as big though.

It's free too.. so go on... publish it there too :D

Cheers!

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was signing up to put my app on SlideMe when I got to the point where they tell me that I have to provide them with "inventory". This makes no sense to me and I can't find a discussion or explanation anywhere of what kind of "inventory" they expect me to send them. Anyone doing this?

Upvote 0

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would upload them as Erel mentions, different APKs, otherwise it could get messy.. This is with the "new regime" aside, which does allow you to upload multiple versions of the same App, therefore probably same APK, but with different physical device support (mostly for Java devs, to support tablets and phones separately).

Slideme was approved a couple of days ago! :) 150+ downloads already

Amazon approved tonight! :)

150+ downloads already in how many days ?

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was signing up to put my app on SlideMe when I got to the point where they tell me that I have to provide them with "inventory". This makes no sense to me and I can't find a discussion or explanation anywhere of what kind of "inventory" they expect me to send them. Anyone doing this?

Is this a paid App? I think you need to pre sell the App, hence the inventory. I've only got free Apps so didn't need to complete that part.

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is this a paid App? I think you need to pre sell the App, hence the inventory. I've only got free Apps so didn't need to complete that part.

I still don't get it. I uploaded the APK to them. All they have to do is let people download it. It's not like the app is "used up" when somebody downloads it. Neither Google nor Amazon asked for "inventory", so it obviously is not necessary for the process of selling the app.

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It could be something to do with licencing of the App - i.e. it's their model to assign an App a unique identifier or something and then ensure that someone who purchases an App from their store doesn't then go on and make it available to others? It might be a simplified way of stopping/minimising Piracy?

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
150+ downloads already in how many days ?

Hi, well that was a long time ago now!! I'd have to try and look through the numbers, but Slideme doesn't really give the nos. that Google Play does. It might sometimes be around par with Amazon App Store, which is around 10%, but that's without looking at the numbers seriously.

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
It could be something to do with licencing of the App - i.e. it's their model to assign an App a unique identifier or something and then ensure that someone who purchases an App from their store doesn't then go on and make it available to others? It might be a simplified way of stopping/minimising Piracy?

Could be, but I can find no explanation of it on their site nor of what I'm supposed to provide, which is why I was asking on here.

Upvote 0