Other Android app vs. Webserver-only solution

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

I'm a bit puzzled about this and the more I learn and experiment with B4J the more the need for an Android B4A's app seems to go out of the picture.
Let me explain.

Combining B4J (a real masterpiece), MySQL, jQuery (and JQuery Mobile) I can set up a webserver on my Raspberry board and have it serving requests from the outside world.
This means that any browser-enabled device (a PC, a smartphone/tablet, a TV) could interact with my project.

So, why should I write an Android-specific app when that same Android device could open its browser and operate on the project data?

I can understand that when the projects need info from Contacts or GPS position or any other personal data stored in the device it will be easier or even necessary to write an app (so for push services), but for general interaction wih a web-based solution it seems it's not necessary.

What am I missing? I'm new to most of this thechnologies so I give for granted that something in my reasoning should be wrong, but what?

TIA to all who are going to share their knowledge and thoughts.

Umberto

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you are not using any device specific features then technically there is no need.
However, you are relying on the browser which sometimes come with their own idiosyncrasies. They also consume more battery and ram when running.

But the main reason to go with an app is the user experience. It needs to feel good, responsive, and intuitive.

Reactions: udg
Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, if there's no tech need to write an app, the main reason become how pretty and user-friendly an app could be as opposed to a web page supposed to be valid for any client.
While still depending on the project goal and architecture, a disadvantage of the client-app design could be that you need an app for any platform you're asked to serve.
Anyway, here we slip again on the project specifics.

Umberto

Upvote 0