B4J Tutorial SithasoDaisy: PocketHost vs PocketBase (What is the difference?)

Ola

I think its time I explain what this is. Perhaps let me clear out some qualifiers. Both these words start with Pocket, one ends with Host and the other ends with Base.

Host = Hosting Company with many instances of PocketBase
Base = A Database just like MySQL, FireBase , SupaBase etc.

PocketBase is a SQLite WebServer that you can run on your VPS. You can publish your webapp inside it and also from the webapp access the back-end database. It works like FireBase and also has SSE (Server Side Events). You can see this Chat example we did. It is awesome and fast!

1686407224166.png

You can use PocketBase with your B4J applications. I explained how to use HttpUtils with it on this thread below.

There is an attempt to run both a webapp (BANanoServe) i.e jetty webserver + PocketBase back-end on a VPS machine here. This does not need any PHP.

PocketHost on the other hand is a SAAS company that hosts instances of PocketBase back-ends. For testing your PocketBase hosted apps online this is cool, however using this type of functionality is not recommended for production use. Its shared hosting, no paid plans as yet.

**** Best Approach ****

Using this company (PocketHost) currently for production based apps is a no go area, thus my disclaimers. It is better just to have your own version of PocketBase running on your own VPS and you will never turn back.

1686407149021.png

So, its 2 different things (...Host = Company and ...Base = Database).

Happy Coding!