Android Views in a 3D world

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had this idea in mind since time ago, but it was always left it for "when I have time in the future", as it was not a matter of a couple of hours. Even had a written list of "apps that could be done" if there existed a lib that allowed for it... (and get many downloads, yes, yes :D:D and get rich...)
Last week I saw a great thread from @Star-Dust, involving related concepts, and also some comments from @LucaMs claiming for its possible use with Android views....so it definitely woke up again that sleeping "TO-DO".

The idea was as simple as to figure out and reverse the equations involved in the 2D/pseudo3D operations on android Views, so that they can be represented as a part of a 3D world with our own matrix system.

About the uses....well, if a complete and consistent system can be made, there are a few, if we take into account that most kinds of Views could be placed there.

This is just a preliminary (yet promising) result. Many things are to be tuned and generalised for all kind of 3D operations yet... If I ever get something consistent I'll try to make a game based on it.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had this idea in mind since time ago, but it was always left it for "when I have time in the future", as it was not a matter of a couple of hours. Even had a written list of "apps that could be done" if there existed a lib that allowed for it... (and get many downloads, yes, yes :D:D and get rich...)
Last week I saw a great thread from @Star-Dust, involving related concepts, and also some comments from @LucaMs claiming for its possible use with Android views....so it definitely woke up again that sleeping "TO-DO".

The idea was as simple as to figure out and reverse the equations involved in the 2D/pseudo3D operations on android Views, so that they can be represented as a part of a 3D world with our own matrix system.

About the uses....well, if a complete and consistent system can be made, there are a few, if we take into account that most kinds of Views could be placed there.

This is just a preliminary (yet promising) result. Many things are to be tuned and generalised for all kind of 3D operations yet... If I ever get something consistent I'll try to make a game based on it.

How did you do that?

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

@JordiCP you are always the best, now have you given confirmation .. at this point I stop my project, yours is extraordinary

PS. But I did not want to make an app to get rich, but make a decent Rubik's cube :p

Last edited:

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As for use cases... I can imagine a "minority report" type of UI, or even a "TRON" world virual city...

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you do it in Java?

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How did you do that?
Did you do it in Java?
I used B4A and JavaObject for the Android Views (rotations, scaling, cameradistance,....)

The "magic" (if any) is to figure out which basic operations to perform on the views so that they "fit" on each side of the rotating cubes :)

As for use cases... I can imagine a "minority report" type of UI, or even a "TRON" world virual city...
I imagined a street of views, each one replying a small sample, and the user being able to walk into them ;)

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I used B4A and JavaObject for the Android Views (rotations, scaling, cameradistance,....)

The "magic" (if any) is to figure out which basic operations to perform on the views so that they "fit" on each side of the rotating cubes :)

I imagined a street of views, each one replying a small sample, and the user being able to walk into them ;)
So we are working on different fronts, I have not used native API or Java.
Used exclusively for B4A and canvas [XUI]
3D objects are not view, but objects inside my library.

MarkusR

Licensed User
Longtime User
#10 it remember me at a old vision:
MR 3D Desktop 1995.jpg

mangojack

Licensed User
Longtime User
Very Impressive Jordi ..

JordiCP

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Very Impressive Jordi ..
:)Thanks. Just fine-tuned some previous results and added cropped subbitmaps to the views, but the result is indeed much better
My old idea (puzzle 3D).

But I thought of a fake 3D, with "cubes" rotatable only on one axis and with N faces, not only 4, variable according to the level of difficulty.
I thought something similar, but I think it is difficult to make it with perspective (unless you make an hexagonal or N-sided prism, or no perspective at all o_O ). I've been looking in the store and most of the 3D puzzles are rubik-Cubes

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
:)Thanks. Just fine-tuned some previous results and added cropped subbitmaps to the views, but the result is indeed much better

I thought something similar, but I think it is difficult to make it with perspective (unless you make an hexagonal or N-sided prism, or no perspective at all o_O ). I've been looking in the store and most of the 3D puzzles are rubik-Cubes
I just thought to 3 faces, one frontal and two lateral. You could even use 200 images, as if it were a polyhedron with 200 faces.