Any one interested developer a game

itgirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
It might be worth for you to start learning libGDX, I know most people feel intimidated by this library, but believe me it is very easy and simple to use, it makes things way easier.

Cheers,
Walter
ofcourse you are right and of course it's important lib to learn but the problem is i've always been into the apps & softwares world i have like only ZERO experience in games develop , except for simple kind of games like 2048 or chess which dont require much graphics and physics

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ofcourse you are right and of course it's important lib to learn but the problem is i've always been into the apps & softwares world i have like only ZERO experience in games develop , except for simple kind of games like 2048 or chess which dont require much graphics and physics
I understand you, I had never developed any games either, and to be honest is not my kind of thing, until i gave it a try and started learning libGDX, and developed my first game https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.genesis.whacky&hl=en i know is nothing too fancy but i'am happy with the results, if i'd only had a million downloads, hahaha!

Walter

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
as with most games it's looking easier than it is to (re)make (with or without libGDX) if you want it to be exact like that (bumps included) :)

itgirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
well there's alot of examples on games and a whole tuts about it here. but i would like a pro source so i can learn from it. and i thought this game would be a good start because i already play it way too much than i should lol

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you picked a wrong game to learn game basics from to be honnest. :confused:

usually people start with pong or something, this one is trickier than it looks.

itgirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think you picked a wrong game to learn game basics from to be honnest. :confused:

usually people start with pong or something, this one is trickier than it looks.
i know lol but i did some gaming before so im not 100% new to this infact i picked this one just because of it's physics or movements or whatever it is lol

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok i worked on it about 8 hours... (it takes much to draw the levels..)

the game is working (see video) i put only level1, you will need to make some changes when you will add more levels and more worms, also i didnot scale the game to all devices (after half way i noticed it, so to lazy to do it , sorry)
what you should do is instead of writing 100dip... you should use 10%x... so change all numbers to (x/y)% and this will run on any device like a charm (if i will find the time for it i will do it)

the game uses ONLY the Core Library!

if anyone like it then a "small" donation is always welcome :D (Paypal: [email protected])

If you got question you can ask me!!

Good Luck with game developing...

Attachments

• WormsPuzzle.zip
    206.7 KB · Views: 347
Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
nice, Ilan.

But the fun part is actually the smooth movements & colliding bumps.

Also notice that it does allow movement even when no empty blocks are infront (just saw it on that other video)

But it's a nice proof of concept already.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

indeed it is "tricky" but i think its good to try something that is a little bit harder and you will "fight" solving problems, and if you still wont find any solution you allways can open your browser and type "www.b4x.com" and i am sure someone will help you out... ;)

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
nice, Ilan.

But the fun part is actually the smooth movements & colliding bumps.

Also notice that it does allow movement even when no empty blocks are infront (just saw it on that other video)

But it's a nice proof of concept already.

i didnot try to clone the other game, ofcourse it can be done, i just wanted to show that not allways you need libGDX ...

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i didnot clone the other game, ofcurse it can be done but just want to show that not allways you need libGDX ...

right, but that's a general phenomeny these days that people take a library for something that sometimes just requires a few lines of code.

we're either spoiled, lazy or die hard ;)

oh and don't forget to vote today.

itgirl

Licensed User
Longtime User

the game is working (see video) i put only level1, you will need to make some changes when you will add more levels and more worms, also i didnot scale the game to all devices (after half way i noticed it, so to lazy to do it , sorry)
what you should do is instead of writing 100dip... you should use 10%x... so change all numbers to (x/y)% and this will run on any device like a charm (if i will find the time for it i will do it)

the game uses only Core & Reflaction!!

if anyone like it then a "small" donation is always welcome :D (Paypal: [email protected])

OMG you actually did it and 8 hours .... HATS OFF for you amaaaaazing work from the video it's really almost the same (talking about graphics) didnt try the game play yet but INDEED it's amazing work

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

the game uses only Core & Reflaction!!

Nicely Done Ilan, congrats :)

wonder

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Did somebody say "game"? :D

@ilan, I'll check your game and source code once I get home, I'm at work now.

@itgirl, LibGDX has a lot of complexity, but to start using it, it's really simple. Back in September I know none about it, but thanks to @walterf25 and @Informatix tutorials and help, I was quickly able to start working with it.

Here's my mini-tutorial, in case someone's interested.

Preparation:
- First of all, read How To Make Games by @Informatix, this tutorial is what I consider, one of the best pieces of information on this forum.
- Another great learning resource which can be found on Youtube is the Extra Credits series
- Although B4A will be your core development tool, if you're planning on using LibGDX, you should also have a powerful image editor like Photoshop CS6 and a waveform editor such as Audacity or even FL Studio 11, if your planning to create your own music.
LibGDX:
- This library can be used for a lot of things, but for now it's only important to understand how to display and move "objects" on screen.
- First, you'll need to load some textures. A texture is nothing but an image file (transparent PNGs), but there are a few things which can be done with it. For example, a texture can be used as a sprite sheet.
- After loading the textures, you can create regions. A region is a LibGDX object which displays part of (or the whole) texture. This is crucial when your game uses animated sprites.
- In LibGDX, the Y coordinates are "reversed", this means that the origin (0,0) is at the bottom-left corner of the screen. Since I never got used to it, in my games I use a simple trick to have the origin at the top-left corner. If you're interested in how to do this, just let me know and I will explain it.
- To display a region on screen, you'll need the following 5 elements: Texture Region Name, X Position, Y Position, Width and Height. Pretty much like every other B4A object.
From this point on, it's time to read the Official LibGDX Tutorial.

I will upload an empty LibGDX project which can be used as a template. Check this post tomorrow, as I will add the link here.

Last edited:

itgirl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Did somebody say "game"? :D

@ilan, I'll check your game and source code once I get home, I'm at work now.

@itgirl, LibGDX has a lot of complexity, but to start using it, it's really simple. Back in September I know none about it, but thanks to @walterf25 and @Informatix tutorials and help, I was quickly able to start working with it.

Here's my mini-tutorial, in case someone's interested.

Preparation:
- First of all, read How To Make Games by @Informatix, is what I consider, one of the best pieces of information on this forum.
- Another great learning resource which can be found on Youtube is the Extra Credits series
- Although B4A will be your core development tool, if you're planning on using LibGDX, you should also have a powerful image editor like Photoshop CS6 and a waveform editor such as Audacity or even FL Studio 11, if your planning to create your own music.
LibGDX:
- This library can be used for a lot of things, but for now it's only important to understand how to display and move "objects" on screen.
- First, you'll need to load some textures. A texture is nothing but an image file (transparent PNGs), but there are a few things which can be done with it. For example, a texture can be used as a sprite sheet.
- After loading the textures, you can create regions. A region is a LibGDX object which displays part of (or the whole) texture. This is crucial when your game uses animated sprites.
- In LibGDX, the Y coordinates are "reversed", this means that the origin (0,0) is at the bottom-left corner of the screen. Since I never got used to it, in my games I use a simple trick to have the origin at the top-left corner. If you're interested in how to do this, just let me know and I will explain it.
- To display a region on screen, you'll need the following 5 elements: Texture Region Name, X Position, Y Position, Width and Height. Pretty much like every other B4A object.
From this point on, it's time to read the Official LibGDX Tutorial.

I will upload an empty LibGDX project which can be used as a template. Check this post tomorrow, as I will add the link here.

in fact i checked your project and it was really good , and as i said before LibGDX is a a really powerful lib for games we all cant deny that , but also it's really nice to see a game coded all without help of LibGDX or any kind of libs (pure code ) it's always a pleasure to "play" adround with this kind of code

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all, file has been Updated (see Post #28)

Game should now scale to any ScreenSize... (small improvements added)

Have Fun..

PS: If you like my work you can show your Love via Paypal ;) ([email protected])
Ilan, how would you implement the part where the chain (worm) exits the path, as in the original game, you can see that the chain (worm) goes under the red exit dot.

Cheers,
Walter