Android Question APK Distribution

daniedb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Guys. My name is Danie, and this will be my first post.
I've bought B4A a few years back and never really had the time/need for it. But because I'm in the software industry (programming) for 24+ year, I just love every aspect of it.

Finally, I upgraded to the latest version, and start develop my first App. Wow... really impressive.

Now to my Question.

This app is for a client, So I won't post it to Store or anyplace else. What is the easiest way to distribute this app to my client and his wife android devices., including the Sqlite DB and images

Sorry if this is a DUMB question. But been spoiled with Windows Installers etc :)

Thanks a mil
Danie

merlin2049er

Licensed User
Longtime User
Use dropbox for the distribution. It's pretty easy to setup and share a folder with your .apk in it (or a link to your .apk).

Upvote 0

daniedb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If your clients are in the same city and you can reach them, then copy the apk in their devices, install from there and then delete the apk file from each device.

Upvote 0

daniedb

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Guys. Appreciate the Help.
Another question...

The DB Files, etc, are that all included in the APK?
I use my "OWN" folders on the SDCard which I create eg:
Munserve/DB
Munserve/Photo_in
Munserve/Photos_out
Munserve/Routes
Munserve/Readings
Is this correct approach or must I use the Default DIR Internal/DirExternal/Assets Folders?

I want to Distrubute a SQlite DB with the APP, I don't create it from the APP. So everything will be included?

Thanks again
D

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
hi
if you want users to edit the db records, then don't save it in assets because it is read only.
Default DIR Internal/DirExternal are both ok.

Upvote 0

merlin2049er

Licensed User
Longtime User
You'll have to include the db files in your assets folder, then copy them over to the sd card. (check to see if the sd card exists first.)

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@merlin2049er

Yes you can include it in the assets then after installation copy it to any other folder.. specially if you want to keep a backup copy just In case.
but also, and this is what I do, you can reference an external folder in your code (like db) and then make sure to copy the db file to that folder.

Upvote 0