Android Question What if I distribute a "legacy debug mode" App

vangogh

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
For my tests I am using the legacy debug mode, because I get all the errors also "run time" on the device.

The app in LEGACY debug mode seems to work perfectly also if the device is stand-alone, with no IDE and no pc and no b4a bridge connected. The app works "by itself"

(As I know, in "normal" debug mode the app doesn't work without an ide connected - as I know. I am talking about the cool LEGACY debugger)

OK OK, the app could be a little slower, but on the other side I get all the errors shown on the device, so I can easily debug at home as an error arise far from me - they send to me a simple screenshot and I see all I need: error, line, code - see the attached image.

My app is not in playstore: I send the apk by mail
it's in legacy debug mode, it works, I had no disadvantages till now

As i know, the use of legacy debugger is deprecated (too bad!!!), and the release of an app in debug mode is ... forbidden?
The question is: is there any reason to hardly discourage releasing the app in legacy debug mode? it's higly usefus for me.

Thank you.
R

Attachments

• screenshot android old debug style v 2.71 - errore debug b4a 2.jpeg
    screenshot android old debug style v 2.71 - errore debug b4a 2.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 33

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can drive my car with three wheels. I just need to lean to one side. Should I drive like this all the time? There are 25% less chances to get punctures.

Apps compiled with debug mode aren't intended to be distributed.

Use Firebase Crashlytics instead.

If I remember correctly, removing the starter service will also cause the error message to appear.

Upvote 0

vangogh

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can drive my car with three wheels. I just need to lean to one side. Should I drive like this all the time? There are 25% less chances to get punctures.

Apps compiled with debug mode aren't intended to be distributed.

Use Firebase Crashlytics instead.

If I remember correctly, removing the starter service will also cause the error message to appear.

yes,
my question was simpler, 'cos luckily I am not in a car with a risk of life, and I don't know if my risk is to have the app crash or to be slower, or I could die ;-)

All seems to be working, so my question was if there is a risk to use it - it helps me a lot during the remote debugging phase

Thank you Erel, I will have a look to Crashlytics too.

Upvote 0