.apk installation error HELP!!

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
Several weeks ago I compiled the HelloWorld program and was successfully able to install it on my HTC Droid Incredible via the IDE and B4A-Bridge. Afterwards I was not able to install ANY subsequent compiled programs on my Droid even though I was able to compile and install several example programs on my Samsung Galaxy Tab. I even sent an apk file to the Droid via email and every time was greeted with the same "Application not Installed" error message by the Package installer after I answer OK to the question whether I want to install the app. Today, I built the same HelloWorld app and another app and successfully installed these via the IDE and B4A-Bridge on my Wife's identical HTC Droid Incredible. My phone has ton's of apps installed and her's does not. I have not run into any problems downloading and installing marketplace apps. I regularly run a "reboot" and cache cleaning app on my phone to free up memory when memory fills up after running several apps which sometimes interferes with my ability to send text messages and read email. I think my problem has something to do with a security issue like "signing" but I am not up to date on these areas. I have been looking all over the 'net for solutions but have not found anything definitive. Th AVB manager is running slow but is OK. All compiled apps appear there and run fine. I was hoping to use my phone for development but now it appears I cannot and that is not good. I would appreciate any help the Community can give me. I have read on the 'net that others with HTC Droids have run into the same error message when dealing with the marketplace but this is a different scenario. Thanks In Advance for any leads or suggestions.

Best Regards,
raytronixsystems

----------------------------------------
HTC Droid Incredible, Samsung Galaxy Tab
----------------------------------------

Last edited:

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
The two apps I am referring to are HelloWorld (FIRST app) and Family Meds (SECOND app)

I just tried the following:

1. uninstalled the FIRST working HelloWorld app via the settings menu...
2. removed the battery from the phone forcing a power-on reset.
3. re-compiled the SECOND (never working) app via the IDE
4 tried to download run the app from the phone via B4A-Bridge.
5. The "installing" message briefly appeared on the phone after it prompted me whether I wanted to install the SECOND app.
6. the install failed with an "Application not Installed" message on the phone
7. I re-compiled the FIRST HelloWorld app via the IDE
8 ran the app from the IDE and loaded it to the phone via B4A-Bridge.
9. The FIRST app successfully installed and ran

IKt seems that the phone likes the FIRST app I ever sent to it and no different one's afterwards. the second app is the Family Meds app on the forum here. IT IS SOMEWHAT LARGER THAN THE HELLOWorld app and uses resources on the SD Card which the first app does not. Are there any issues related to usage of the SD Card? Currently there is 1.4 GB free on the 2.0 GB card so I don't believe memory space there is an issue. I haven't tried deleting any files related to the Family Meds (SECOND App) from the SD card via Astro File Manager.

Best Regards,
raytronixsystems

Upvote 0

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
No because it has never ever installed - only the first one has. I have tried at least 6 other different "SECOND" apps and none have ever installed only the FIRST. My Galaxy Tab installs them all but not my Droid.

Upvote 0

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
right, I have sent other apps to the phone via email attachments but none will install. I can reinstall the first but no others at all. There is something about the first app that is blocking installs from all subsequent compiles.

Upvote 0

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
No message error 18. I will try LogCat and adb later on today. I have been up all night on this problem and have to get some sleep. I'll let you know what error codes I get during the install. I've never used these yet but will research before trying. Thanks for now and good night to all!

Upvote 0

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry gentlemen for the delayed response on this issue. I tried unchecking the filter option in the IDE but no relevant LogCat information was present. I started looking around in the IDE to see what options had been checked off for the compile and unchecked the "Can Install To External Storage" option under the Project Menu and ran the compile again.

To my amazement the Installer ran and my application was installed properly. Subsequent compiles and installs of the app were also successful with the Installer prompting me each time whether I had wanted to replace the existing application with the newly compiled one. Now I have no idea why it is all working. I looked around and the application is only 377k according to the "settings" menu. I have about 1.3 GB free on my SD card. I'm running Android 2.2 on my Droid Incredible. I know my Galaxy Tab has an 8 or 16 GB card with most of it free storage. Remember the Tablet always installed the app regardless of the state of the "Can Install To External Storage" option. My Wife's Droid did too but she has slightly more available space on her SD card than my Droid.

Does anyone have any ideas? What exactly does this compile option mean? I've noticed that some Market apps have the APP2SD option and I do install some of my downloaded apps to my SD card. Is the compile switch related to APP2SD? I have to do more reading around on the forum here. Perhaps all my answers are right in front of me. But if someone already knows the answer and can explain my problem I would be much happier. I am concerned that later on when I develop apps for the Market I may need to turn that option back on for a reason and not be able to use my device for debugging because the app will not install.I did not use adb yet so I have no definitive error message to go by.

Thanks In Advance,
raytronixsystems
http://www.b4x.com/forum/images/smilies/BangHead.gif

Upvote 0

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a good one then because my Wife's phone is exactly like mine but does not have as many apps installed on the SD card. I'll look into it more carefully and try to come up with an answer. By the way, I just downloaded the DButils.zip file from the forum here and was wondering how I can start to use DButils. Is there another library I need to install or what?

Best Regards,
raytronixsystems

Upvote 0

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello, I cannot find the link to the SQL library. Where is the DBUtils page located? I have the link to the example program an plan to test that out as soon as I can get the new SQL library..

Best Regards,
raytronixsystems

Upvote 0

raytronixsystems

Licensed User
Longtime User
thx, I did install the Help Viewer some time ago but did not think to refer to it for answers! It would save us lots of time here!

Best Regards,
raytronixsystems

Upvote 0