Android Question APK installation

mbatgr

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi folks,

I downloaded the B4A apk application on my device using Chrome. My device is a Nxus7
When trying to install, i got the message "can't open file"
I have allowed in settings the installation from sources other than PlayStore, though.

I connected my device with my PC through a USB and transfer a similar apk to device's downloads folder.
I can see both files within Chrome/downloads directory from my PC's File explorer
but not within Chrome/Download directory in my device.

Anyway,I used ES File Exlorer app in my device and from there I was able to view the 2 files and
to install them, as well.

I have problem to how to distribute my apk from my server to client's devices and install it easily.
Is there any suggestion that promote an easy process in downloading and installng them in Android devices?
For example as a compressed file that opens automatically from Android Os when downloading complete and can be installed by clicking on the app?

Regards,
Mike

mbatgr

Licensed User
Longtime User
Most browsers can install APKs.

Please try this APK: https://www.b4x.com/android/files/b4a_bridge.apk
Are you able to install it from Chrome?

I upload thefile to the server. I downloaded using Chrome browser with my Nexus 7. The same message "Can't open the file". The devise has Android version 6.0.1

I downloaded from the link above directly to my devise. If I use chrome the problem persists. If I choose ES Downloaded things work fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mbatgr

Licensed User
Longtime User
It does work here with Chrome (Android 7). The file is downloaded and clicking on open starts installation.

Most devices will allow to install directly from the browser.

Thank you for lettimg me know Erel.
Although I work with Android 6.0.1, I think that I should look at the settings of my device.
Apart of the "allowed installation from unknown sources", is there any setting I should check?

Upvote 0

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Google devices are a bit fussy about APK installation.. For security reasons I think. I'm fairly certain I used Dropbox to install my APKs directly on a Nexus 5X.

Upvote 0