Android Question App can send SMS - trouble with GooglePlay

petr4ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear friends,

please very much for help.

My app can send SMS. In manifest I am using:

B4X:
AddPermission(android.permission.RECEIVE_SMS)
AddPermission(android.permission.READ_CALL_LOG)
AddPermission(android.permission.READ_CONTACTS)
AddPermission(android.permission.READ_PHONE_NUMBERS)
AddPermission(android.permission.READ_SMS)
AddPermission(android.permission.SEND_SMS)
AddPermission("android.permission.CALL_PHONE")

I am trying to set sensitive permission as SMS handler and I am trying to set Device automation. But I get this message from GooglePlay (Rejected):
After reviewing your app, we found that it doesn’t qualify to use the requested permissions for the following reason(s):
Requested permissions do not match core functionality of the app
You declared Device Automation as the core functionality of your app. However, after review, we found that your app does not match the declared use case(s). Learn more about permitted uses and exceptions.
Please either:
• Make changes to your app so that it meets the requirements of the declared core functionality or,
• Select a use case that matches your app’s functionality
You declared Default SMS handler (and any other core functionality usage while default handler), Default Phone handler (and any other core functionality usage while default handler) as the core functionality of your app. However, after review, we found that your app does not match the declared use case(s). Learn more about permitted uses and exceptions.

I dont know what I am doing wrong? Have somebody experience, please, with GooglePlay and App which can send SMS?
Best regards
p4ppc

petr4ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Pendrush,

thank you. I know about that.
Because of count of Rejecting I am thinking about possibility that apps can not use SMS today... its true? I have this opinion because of:
b4A THREAD - SMS and CALL_LOG permissions are no longer available
here is described this:
Google has changed their policy regarding the following permissions:
READ_SMS, SEND_SMS, WRITE_SMS, RECEIVE_SMS
READ_CALL_LOG, WRITE_CALL_LOG, PROCESS_OUTGOING_CALLS
Only the default phone or messaging apps can use these permissions:
and link where is described:
If your app does not require access to Call Log or SMS permissions, you must remove these permissions from your app's manifest. Details on policy compliant alternative implementation are also detailed below.
If you believe your app meets the policy requirements for acceptable use or is eligible for an exception, you should declare any Call Log or SMS permissions directly through Play Console.

Because of this text and because of "SMS and CALL_LOG permissions are no longer available" I am confused (my mistake) and this is the reason why I must ask:

Does it mean that
I can NOT use SMS and CALL functions in apps which are placed in Google Play?

Or
I can use SMS and CALL functionality in my app placed in GooglePlay only if I meet policy requirements?

Best regards
p4ppc

Upvote 0

petr4ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Pendrush,

thank you very much for your answer,
I read Exception and I am certain that app belongs to 2 categories
- Apps connected to smartwatch
- Cross-device synchronization or transfer of SMS or calls

please, do you think that reason of rejection can be because of manifest:?
B4X:
AddPermission(android.permission.RECEIVE_SMS)
AddPermission(android.permission.READ_CALL_LOG)
AddPermission(android.permission.READ_CONTACTS)
AddPermission(android.permission.READ_PHONE_NUMBERS)
AddPermission(android.permission.READ_SMS)
AddPermission(android.permission.SEND_SMS)
AddPermission("android.permission.CALL_PHONE")

or do you think I must put to the manifest or to the main code some special code?
I mean some code which is describing using of my app?

Thank you for your help
Best regards
p4ppc

Upvote 0

Pendrush

Licensed User
Longtime User
I do not work on Play store, also I don't use CALL and SMS permissions. My answer is: I really don't know.

EDIT:
Problem is not B4A related, you can search on Google possible solution for your problem.

Upvote 0

petr4ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear Mr.Erel,

with your answer you told that I can not use SMS and CALL function in APP which I put to Play store?
I thought that I can make request for exception - exists this possibility? Or really - here is no way how to put APP such this to Google play market?

After long time and many attempts I get from google play team this message:
  • Requested permissions do not match core functionality of the app
    You declared Connected device companion apps that enable sending and receiving of SMS or calls, Cross-device synchronization or transfer of SMS or calls, Device Automation, Write and Show Call History in Dialer, In-vehicle hands-free use and projected display as the core functionality of your app. However, after review, we found that your app does not match the declared use case(s).
    Please either:
    • Make changes to your app so that it meets the requirements of the declared core functionality or,
    Select a use case that matches your app’s functionality
Eligibility Issue Sensitive permission
Requests for permission and APIs that access sensitive information should make sense to users. You may only request permissions and APIs that access sensitive information that are necessary to implement current features or services in your app that are promoted in your Google Play listing. You may not use permissions or APIs that access sensitive information that give access to user or device data for undisclosed, unimplemented, or disallowed features or purposes. Personal or sensitive data accessed through permissions or APIs that access sensitive information may never be sold.
Request permissions and APIs that access sensitive information to access data in context (via incremental requests), so that users understand why your app is requesting the permission. Use the data only for purposes that the user has consented to. If you later wish to use the data for other purposes, you must ask users and make sure they affirmatively agree to the additional uses.

I dont understand what changes I must to do. I dont understand if I must do some changes in code of my app or if I am doing something
wrong on my developer account....

Maybe I think that the solution can be in :
"Request permissions and APIs that access sensitive information to access data in context (via incremental requests), so that users understand why your app is requesting the permission."
Please, do you think it does mean that I must inform the user about using sensitive permission each time when they run the functions of App which are
sensitive permission? Understand I right, please?
or
do you think that I have no chance with SMS and CALL functions?

Best regards
thank you for advice
p4ppc

Upvote 0

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Google are unlikely to approve apps with these permissions, unless you are building an alternative SMS app.
Further of Erel's reply, I want to add,
  • You can send SMS via intent call, no problem on GPlay
  • You can call PHONE via intent call, no problem on GPlay
  • You MUST have a full fledged SMS app with all read/list/send/notification/etc. etc. features to send SMS directly from your app, to GPlay approve it.

Upvote 0

petr4ppc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you my friends,

after many days I can confirm that only without SMS and telefonic functions Google add my app in to google play,

thank you for your answer
best regards
p4ppc

Upvote 0