Android Question App Not Installed

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think I am missing an underlying base name for the application somewhere?
I can create an app and install it ok.
But if I create another app and try an install it I get App not installed.
This happens for every new app I create, even if I use a new keystore for each one.
The only way I have found to make any new app install is to increase the version number, (or uninstall all other apps).
I am now on version 101 for the first iteration of an app.
With a few errors I have encountered, the error message contains something like ..\data\b4a.example ..
So I am wondering if android thinks every app I create is actually named b4a.example and therefore the only way to get it to install is to increase the version?

Any help would be appreciated, I mean I have found a work around so it's not a show stopper, but it's a bit strange so I figure I am missing something crucial.

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You usually can not install a version of the same app (of a particular "package name") that is older then the currently installed version because "App Not Installed" will be the response if you do try to install an older version.

So, going by the error message you posted, it seems like you may have multiple apps that are using the same "package name" (click the "Project" drop-down menu in the IDE and select "Build Configuration"). It probably has the default "b4a.example" in it - you should change this to a unique name for each different app project you have (using the suggested format of "com.mycompany.myappname") - this will probably fix the issue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wes58

Licensed User
Longtime User
But if I create another app and try an install it I get App not installed.
This happens for every new app I create, even if I use a new keystore for each one.
The only way I have found to make any new app install is to increase the version number, (or uninstall all other apps).
To install an update to existing application:
1. application has to have the same or higher version number.
2. application has to be signed with the same key

Upvote 0

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you both JohnC and wes58 for your answers and the speed
Yes the Package name is exactly what I was missing
Cheers

Upvote 0