Other Apple Pay for Donations - a Request

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm in the middle of developing a Carbon Offset app for a charity.
Version 1 allowed you to record your travel and submit to the charity. They would then invoice you.

Version 2, which is currently under development integrates STRIPE (via the REST API) to allow the user to buy the Carbon Offsets directly from the app. From my reading of the apple Developer guidelines this should be OK as the Carbon Offset is not a digital asset.

The charity has asked to add donations to the app.
According to the Dev Guidelines, there are 2 sections that look relevant.
  • 3.2.1 Acceptable
    • (vi) Approved nonprofits may fundraise directly within their own apps or third-party apps, provided those fundraising campaigns adhere to all App Review Guidelines and offer Apple Pay support. These apps must disclose how the funds will be used, abide by all required local and federal laws, and ensure appropriate tax receipts are available to donors. Additional information shall be provided to App Review upon request. Nonprofit platforms that connect donors to other nonprofits must ensure that every nonprofit listed in the app has also gone through the nonprofit approval process. Learn more about becoming an approved nonprofit.
  • 3.2.2 Unacceptable
    • (iv) Unless you are an approved nonprofit or otherwise permitted under Section 3.2.1 (vi) above, collecting funds within the app for charities and fundraisers. Apps that seek to raise money for such causes must be free on the App Store and may only collect funds outside of the app, such as via Safari or SMS.

My reading of this is that the app can only accept donations using 2 methods.
1. Outside the app using a browser. (I don't really want to do this)
2. Within the app using Apple Pay. Apple Pay for Donations

I'd like to be able to do this, so has anyone integrated either Apple Pay or the STRIPE iOS SDK (which does support Apple Pay) directly into a B4X app and is able to provide some guidance.

If not, is there anyone out there with B4i library development experience would be willing to take a crack at it with me. I am working for the charity for free. Personally, I would be willing to provide the results to the community once complete.

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
In most cases it is quite simple to integrate payment providers with OkHttpUtils2 / iHttpUtils2. Where are the actual instructions?
@Erel ,
I could not find a reference to using Apple Pay solely through HTTP.
But here is the reference for Apple Pay using STRIPE. https://stripe.com/in/apple-pay
That refers to using the STRIPE iOS SDK library or STRIPE.js for web work.

Cheers

Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I have it all working using the REST API for credit cards. I can create "card" type payment intents and charge the customer.

I just could not see a way to use the REST API with APPLE PAY.

I could be missing something in the Docs , but the only reference I could find to Apple Pay talks about using the STRIPE iOS SDK. Hence the original request.

Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok,

I got that working.
I realised that a combination of HTTP calls and a webview will allow it all to function without a server.
It is a little slow, but that is at STRIPE's end I think.
It works fine on Apple Pay, but for some strange reason it does not work with Google Pay.

I have created a new thread.

Upvote 0