Android Question AutoComplete TextBox fields and Android security

Stephen A Wolfe

Licensed User
I have a security question. I have noticed that on my Android phone, the keyboard has an autocomplete feature which is very helpful, but is there a way for it not to store text entered in the autocomplete database for specific textboxes? Also, are things saved there securely encrypted for Android systems with the system keyboard?

Thanks.

Yayou49

Licensed User
Hi,
Are u talking about a B4A App ?
If yes, instead using AutoCompleteEditText, use an simple EditText...
BTW, suggested words list is disabled by default for an AutoCompleteEditText.
So maybe you have to remove the AutoCompleteEditText.SetItems from your code.

Hope it can help.

Upvote 0

Stephen A Wolfe

Licensed User
Hi,
Are u talking about a B4A App ?
If yes, instead using AutoCompleteEditText, use an simple EditText...
BTW, suggested words list is disabled by default for an AutoCompleteEditText.
So maybe you have to remove the AutoCompleteEditText.SetItems from your code.

Hope it can help.
I'm referring to suggested words. Are those a potential security risk from apps with malicious intent?

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a security question. I have noticed that on my Android phone, the keyboard has an autocomplete feature which is very helpful, but is there a way for it not to store text entered in the autocomplete database for specific textboxes? Also, are things saved there securely encrypted for Android systems with the system keyboard?
The keyboard app can do whatever it likes with the data. You cannot hide any text from it.

Upvote 0

Stephen A Wolfe

Licensed User
The keyboard app can do whatever it likes with the data. You cannot hide any text from it.
I think we can all generally trust the security of the system keyboard app though, right? I mean, I can't imagine Android OS programmers will just go rogue and intentionally transmit data entered from the keyboard to a third party. My concern is, is there a suggested words database that can be accessed by any products developer or app to collect possible passwords entered for apps and websites? I'm probably just being paranoid, but like having my bases covered as far as security is concerned.

Upvote 0

Stephen A Wolfe

Licensed User
The autocomplete database is not accessible to third party apps (on unrooted devices).
Thanks Erel, but is that also true for the suggested words DB? I was using the EditText box and noticed previous things entered, like passwords and usernames were being suggested.

Upvote 0