Android Tutorial B4A-Bridge over wifi without a local network

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Examples' started by Erel, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Erel

Erel Administrator Staff Member Licensed User

Starting from B4A v5.0, B4A-Bridge over Bluetooth is no longer available. You can use B4A-Bridge over wifi or USB debug mode to connect the IDE to a device.

By creating a mobile hotspot you can easily connect to a device with B4A-Bridge even if there is no local network.

The steps are:
    1. Start a mobile hotspot on the device.
    2. Connect the computer to the mobile hotspot.
    3. Start B4A-Bridge. It will show a message saying: "Not connected to wireless network". Ignore it.
    4. Set the following IP address in the IDE: 192.168.43.1 (this is the default ip address of devices serving as a mobile hotspot).

upload_2015-6-15_9-27-9.png

Notes

- This will work even if there is no sim card in the device.
    - If there is a sim card then it is recommended to turn airplane mode on as otherwise the computer will use the device mobile network provider to connect to the internet. This may result in large bandwidth consumption.

2. Troberg

Troberg Well-Known Member Licensed User

This assumes that you can select which network the computer connects to, and that you can disconnect from the network it is currently connected to (which isn't accessible by the "foreign device" phone).

3. Dave O

Dave O Active Member Licensed User

I think you mean "turn off mobile data", because Airplane Mode turns off mobile AND WiFi, which would cut off the PC.

4. Erel

Both options are good. You can turn on airplane mode and then turn on hotspot.

5. supriono

supriono Member Licensed User

where i can download this .apk?

6. Erel

7. zsugar

zsugar Member Licensed User

Hi, tried to establishe a wireless connection as you described, but I obtained only this message:

Attached Files:

8. Erel

It is possible that your device hotspot feature uses a non-standard ip address.

9. zsugar

zsugar Member Licensed User

My device is a Nexus 5, so I suppose IP address is 192.168.43.1. I noticed that when I enable Hot spot WIFI is turn-off automatically.
    Is possible a problem ?

Thanks

10. Erel

I've tested it with Nexus 5 and it worked properly.

I don't think so.

Have you tried to click on Yes when the dialog appeared?

11. timwil

timwil Active Member Licensed User

WiFi is turned off automatically because the WiFi on the phone is now being used to serve your PC

12. KnipsFips

KnipsFips New Member Licensed User

Hi,

I just upgraded to B4a V5 and cannot connect to B4A-Bridge anymore.
    It used to pop up a message that it couldn't ping my android device but nevertheless it connected fine.
    After the upgrade to B4A V5 it still says that it cannot ping the device but now it is not connecting anymore.

I am running V2.09 and wanted to download the apk from your given link but the link points to V2.09.
    Could you please update your link to B4A-Bridge.apk to the current version (2.12)?

thanks

13. Erel

Please start a new thread for this. This thread is about a specific type of B4A Bridge usage.