Android Question B4A setup SSD vs HDD

trueboss323

Licensed User
Longtime User
Not sure if this is in the right forum but if not I apologize.

So I got a new computer with both an SSD and HDD. I would like to know what's the best way to install what onto each hard drive. I know the SSD has limited number of read/writes before its cells start to die (Total bytes written), the less read/writes it has, the more lifespan. So first, to install JDK, would it be more convenient to install on the SSD or HDD? Same goes installing Android SDK, its virtual machines, and the B4A ide itself. Including any kinds of settings I have to configure. Thanks.

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In my opinion it is good to save the SDK, JAVA-Setup and the IDE (including internal and Additional libs) itself on SSD.
You install it once. After that mostly READ-Access will follow. But the read-access is FAST

Total bytes written
If i remember correctly a SSD (the cells) can be overwritten X times before the cell dies.

I have a ssd in my pc which is 4 Years old. And still works fine.

Compiling a app with the IDE (i mean your project folders in specific) i would use the HDD.
When compiling a lot of files are regenerated/rewritten. You should use the HDD for this. Preferably a fast one.

Just my 2 cent

Upvote 0

trueboss323

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for the answer. So if i understand correctly, I should install everything onto the SSD drive except the B4A project folders.

Compiling a app with the IDE (i mean your project folders in specific) i would use the HDD.
When compiling a lot of files are regenerated/rewritten. You should use the HDD for this. Preferably a fast one.

If I'm compiling an app that uses a lot of libraries and resources, I assume it tries to read files from all over the place. For example, reading libraries from the B4A libraries folder, reading SDK information from the Android folder, and if you have Admob, it also tries to search from the Android folder. Plus any additional files or folders you specify in the Project Attributes.

And if I am also running Android virtual machines for debugging , then it would be running from the SSD, which is a lot of read/writes especially for a virtual machine.

But in my project folder, I think thats where most of the compilation takes place. Since that's where all my app's assets are located, the dex file for compiling, and where it saves the APK file. I guess Erel would know more about it, I'd be really interested to hear his response about this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My teacher in the vocational school, wanted us also the teaching the cell is only 40000 writings are possible, until this is used up.

Sure, he is right somewhere, but not if the PC is normal using, on the server where massive data is written it is also not useful to fill these with SSDs.

Upvote 0

DavideV

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm using only SSD ,samsung Evo 500Gb on my laptop from 3 years without any problem.
Also i'm using an external SSD usb3 M2 size (size similar to a pen drive) for all my data (i make regular backups of it) , it's fast and no problem too :)

Upvote 0

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
I copy the whole documents folder to a second hdd drive (including my B4x sources) and additionally to Google drive (recources) and complete to my hosted server. I have done an image of my sdd. So I think I'm safe :)

One SSD and working directly on Onedrive local folder because this way all important data backups automatically (not so many Backups as Klaus!!)
upload_2017-1-25_17-41-24.png

Upvote 0