Android Question B4A to B4I need advise

ocalle

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an application made in B4X (A) Android, a client asked me to pass it to B4I IOS. You can tell me if the gap is too high in difficulty. What elements would I need consider and if it is worth the effort.
Surely it is not like the wonder of portability that is B4X.-
Thank you very much, any recommendation will be welcome.

ocalle

Licensed User
Longtime User
Understood, Its a cloud filemanager, very simple that uses an API in Java to Upload and download files to the cloud, as Dropbox, Google and so on.

Upvote 0

Brandsum

Licensed User
The difficulty level is depends upon used libraries, views and coding structure of your project.

If there is any custom view thats is made for B4A then you need to find an alternative for B4I. Same goes for libraries.

If your useful functions like downloading, uploading files etc are in a separate module then it will be easy to use that in B4I.

As their is no service module available in B4I you need to move all the codes to a class module. You can use Main module in B4I as Starter service in B4A.

For every activity create a code module which will have a page object.

Start with all this information. If you face any problem then post or search for that in forum.

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
As said above, we cannot say much without more information about the app. Overall while B4i / iOS configuration takes a bit longer the development itself is simpler.
As their is no service module available in B4I you need to move all the codes to a class module
You can use a static code module. B4i static code modules are very similar to B4A activities and services modules. You can actually share the starter service between the projects.

Upvote 0

Jack Cole

Licensed User
Longtime User
You could consider using a class and strategy I developed for porting apps to b4i that allows you to share more of the code between b4a and b4i. As others have noted, you'll want to evaluate any platform specific elements in the app to see if there is a b4i version or a b4x version (compatible with both).

Upvote 0