B4J Code Snippet [B4j] [DSE] Add a pane with layout to a tooltip.

A designer script extension to add a pane with a layout to a Nodes tooltip:

1694436573823.png

B4X:
'Parameters: Target As B4xView, LayoutName As String, AnchorLocation As String, PaneWidth As Double, PaneHeight as Double
'DesignerScript: {Classname}.SetPaneOnTooltip(Button1,"layoutname","CONTENT_TOP_RIGHT",120,100 )
'ContentDisplay Should be one of: CONTENT_BOTTOM_LEFT, CONTENT_BOTTOM_RIGHT, CONTENT_TOP_LEFT, CONTENT_TOP_RIGHT,
'WINDOW_BOTTOM_LEFT, WINDOW_BOTTOM_RIGHT, WINDOW_TOP_LEFT, WINDOW_TOP_RIGHT or empty string for default
Public Sub SetPaneOnTooltip(DesignerArgs As DesignerArgs)
    If DesignerArgs.FirstRun Then
        Dim Target As JavaObject = DesignerArgs.GetViewFromArgs(0)
        Dim LayoutName As String = DesignerArgs.Arguments.Get(1)
        Dim AnchorLocation As String = DesignerArgs.Arguments.Get(2)
        Dim Width As Double = DesignerArgs.Arguments.Get(3)
        Dim Height As Double = DesignerArgs.Arguments.Get(4)

Dim P As B4XView = XUI.CreatePanel("")
        P.SetLayoutAnimated(0,0,0,Width,Height)
        P.LoadLayout(LayoutName)
        Dim TT As JavaObject
        TT.InitializeNewInstance("javafx.scene.control.Tooltip",Null)
        TT.RunMethod("setGraphic",Array(P))
        If AnchorLocation <> "" Then TT.RunMethod("setAnchorLocation",Array(AnchorLocation.ToUpperCase))
        Target.As(JavaObject).RunMethod("setTooltip",Array(TT))

End If
End Sub

Where {ClassName} is whichever class you copy the code to.

You can access the pane to set or change some of it's text or anything else after the layout is loaded, using something like this code:
B4X:
Dim P1 As B4XView = {Target}.As(JavaObject).RunMethodJO("getTooltip",Null).RunMethod("getGraphic",Null)
P1.GetView(0).Text = NewValue
P1.GetView(1).Text = NewValue
P1.GetView(2).Text = NewValue
P1.GetView(3).Text = NewValue

Where {Target} is the Node you assigned the tooltip to.

Hint: Do not set the tooltip text in the designer. If you want text as well, you can modify the code to Initialize the tooltip with text, and pass it in the designer method call.

Enjoy

Last edited:

kimstudio

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi steve, I am not very familiar with DSE yet. I'd like to know what's the advantage to use DSE for this special case as I think it could be implemented by normal code?

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You could very easily implement this in normal code. I use dse classes as libraries. If I want to do this again in another project I only have to load the library, then call the function from the designer and it's done. Otherwise it's extra code to call the subroutine from whichever module you put it once the layout has loaded.

I have lot's of other functions that make more sense being a designer script extension, but I am used to that way of working now, so most things that modify nodes go in a library with other designer script extensions.