B4J Question B4J Libraries and Java 11+ Compatibillity with previous projects

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have installed the latest (at the time posting) B4J v7 and Java 11.

I want to make my huge project Athena compatible with this latest Java version.
That's why I ask the neccessary libraries to be updated to work with the latest Java version.

This is the error I get when I run my project Athena

B4JError.JPG

Libraries used

B4JLibs.JPG

It used to work with SDK v9.0.4 but as you all understand I have to keep up to date with the latest updates of Java, so I am asking for updates of the included libraries for whom it may concern.

Thanks

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you install Java 11 from oracle or OpenJDK?

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Oracle JDK v11.0.2 from here

What's OpenJDK and what's the difference? please shed some light on this

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You'll have to pay license fees to Oracle to continue using their newest JRE/JDK. Oracle JDK/JRE are meant for paying customers. If you are going for non-license fees, then go with OpenJDK/OpenJFX (https://openjdk.java.net/,https://openjfx.io/).

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is possible that you are using javafx.swing with javaobject, Try searching your source code for javafx.swing

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have only installed jdk-11.0.1 but the version of your software I have (0.97L) compiles here, make sure you have installed the correct javafx version. Unless you have added access to javafx.swing since.

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
@stevel05 No I have not added anything else since then. I just upgraded to B4j v7 and installed Oracles JDK v11.0.2, but I guess I should uninstall that

and install the open source version? Perhaps it's that which causing the error message, I'm using the wrong JDK!!?

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
@OliverA I had no idea about that Oracle will start charge for using it!!! That's really bad news. I guess the open-source will be the way to go,

or maybe I am missing something important here. In that case just fill me in on that

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Found this on B4j page, OpenjDK11 + OpenjFX 11, totally new stuff but I'll install that then I guess go here

upload_2019-1-29_19-55-41.png

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Btw my project Athena is a commercial project, which means if I succeed we'll all be rich!! lol
Will OpenJDK still be the way to go? it says
License permits usage in closed commercial projects.

what the.. does that mean!!

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Some excerpts from Oracle Java License (https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/terms/license/javase-license.html):
License Rights and Restrictions
Oracle grants You a nonexclusive, nontransferable, limited license to internally use the Programs, subject to the restrictions stated in this Agreement and Program Documentation, only for the purpose of developing, testing, prototyping and demonstrating Your Application and not for any other purpose.
Further, You may not:- use the Programs for any data processing or any commercial, production, or internal business purposes other than developing, testing, prototyping, and demonstrating your Application;

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm speechless!!!! what to say!!? so what about the open source JDK? cannot that be used commercially or what?

What option is leaft for us anyway? I really wonder.

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I was planning to have Athena distributed with dealers of new laptops... you name it. At least that's a plan.

Until Oracle ruined my vision.

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
I must find out what Oracle charge for commercial usage of Java.. and if the two different standards is compatible or not.

We should have known it would come to this sooner or later. Java JDKs was only a plan for them to make money on this technology.

They must keep up with Microsoft because as it is now Bill Gates eats Oracle for breakfast.

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Cannot Java v9.0.4 be installed at the same time as Java 11+ !!!!!!? I mean, if we want to use any program made years ago with the new Java will it be possible?

or else, BIG SHIT!!!

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Users can run JRE's as long as they want. They just may not get any updates anymore. Java 9 & 10 only had 6 months life cycles. Oracle's 11 is the new LTS. OpenJDK has a live cycle of 6 months. So after 6 months, the previous OpenJDK will not receive any updates anymore, even if you where willing to pay. If you are willing to pay for updates, then go with Oracle's version. End users of JRE 8 (non-commercial environments) will receive updates until sometime in 2020. Multiple JRE's/JDK's can be installed at the same time.

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Please note I may be completely wrong about some of this.

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well personally I don't care about Oracle's life cycle ideas, as long as we can develope a complete application on Java 8 or 9 for FREE and make it work on any computer, regardless if they have Java v250 commercial installed or not lol
I did install Oracle JDK v11.0.2 while I had JDK v9.0.4 installed and that made my project not run, so if I can just get around this it's peach.
If that will work somehow I'll complete my project using JDK v9.0.4 and I'll be safe all the way to Wallstreet lol

Upvote 0