B4J Question B4J Sqlite "Server"

tdocs2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Greetings,all.

On a knowledge scale of 1 to 10, I am like zero related to B4J. I have installed all components, and actually got an app to run.

I would like to build a SQLite "server" in B4J (target MS Windows) and have Android tablets access the database. Low transaction volume - query and non-query...

Is it possible? How do I get started?

I am familiar (not expert) with Windows networking. For example, three computers in a network, A,B,C. A is the "server" where DB resides in the C: drive, folder DataBase. Computer A shares the C: drive with full privileges to all. Computer B or C map the C drive to a drive letter, e.g. T: Then, to access the DB on the A computer, the B or C computer points to T:\Database.

Thank you in advance.

Any and all help will be welcomed.

Sandy

Last edited:

giga

Licensed User
Longtime User
What you want to do is possible.

In my opinion if you are not familiar with the process start small.

1. Build the database on the Windows Computer with only a few columns,rows, categories.
2. Set user account(s) to access the data in SQLite
3. Try one android device (locally) within the LAN to see if you can connect edit, add, delete etc.
*Note outside access to the data requires more configuration(i.e port forwarding, possible firewall issues)

That should get you started,
See link for connection steps http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/th...r-rdc-connect-to-any-remote-db.31540/#content

and

http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/rdc-simple-way-to-create-your-own-back-end-database.31616/

Hope this helps

Upvote 0

tdocs2

Licensed User
Longtime User
What you want to do is possible.

In my opinion if you are not familiar with the process start small.

1. Build the database on the Windows Computer with only a few columns,rows, categories.
2. Set user account(s) to access the data in SQLite
3. Try one android device (locally) within the LAN to see if you can connect edit, add, delete etc.
*Note outside access to the data requires more configuration(i.e port forwarding, possible firewall issues)

That should get you started,
See link for connection steps http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/th...r-rdc-connect-to-any-remote-db.31540/#content

and

http://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/rdc-simple-way-to-create-your-own-back-end-database.31616/

Hope this helps

Thank you, giga.

Did a quick read of the links you provided. Slightly overwhelming at first glance. Let me go back and try to digest and segment.

Wanted to thank you before that.

Best regards.

Sandy

Upvote 0

giga

Licensed User
Longtime User
No worries, Hope it helps.
Note.
Step 2 works best by using SQLite Expert as Erel recommended. ( **You do not have to purchase it but it will help you start and administer the database on the back-end**)

Using these steps I have created several databases on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit system which I access from a Samsung Galaxy S4 and 7 inch Tab 2.

Good Luck.

Upvote 0

tdocs2

Licensed User
Longtime User
No worries, Hope it helps.
Note.
Step 2 works best by using SQLite Expert as Erel recommended. ( **You do not have to purchase it but it will help you start and administer the database on the back-end**)

Using these steps I have created several databases on a Windows 7 Pro 64bit system which I access from a Samsung Galaxy S4 and 7 inch Tab 2.

Good Luck.

Thank you, giga.

I have already downloaded and experimented with SQLite Expert (Free version). It works very well with the ability to create, add, or view db. But I am using it more like a PC replacement to B4A SQLite Viewer which I think it is a great app also.

I have to finish deciphering RDC - Simple way to create your own back-end database... Then, move on to the Android side with: RDC client.

Best regards.

Sandy

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tdocs2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, Erel, for taking of your time and taking care of the B4 community.

How can I build the server with B4J? Would I still use DBRequestManager Class of the RDC Client on the Android device? Is there a B4J example?

In essence, I would like the GUI at the Android level and the DB at the PC level emulating in some way the Windows networking/file sharing paradigm I described above:

I am familiar (not expert) with Windows networking. For example, three computers in a network, A,B,C. A is the "server" where DB resides in the C: drive, folder DataBase. Computer A shares the C: drive with full privileges to all. Computer B or C map the C drive to a drive letter, e.g. T: Then, to access the DB on the A computer, the B or C computer points to T:\Database.

Or is it possible to have an Android device be the "server" - that would even be better! No PC or Linux - only Android.

Best regards.

Sandy

Upvote 0