Bug? B4X/B4i IDE occasionally becomes totally unresponsive!

Andris

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can it be a graphics issue? Are you (we) using onboard GC, which share the RAM? Any one if us using a dedicated Graphics Card, with it's own memory?
1653590475039.png

Andris

Licensed User
Longtime User
Windows updates ? Including video drivers etc ...
Windows 10 Pro. Always updated. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon. Drivers always current. The freezing problem has been there for a few years now. I even had it with my previous Lenovo ThinkPad, 3 years ago. So definitely not something that just started happening because of a firmware update.

William Lancee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Also, looking at the task manager report, the memory footprint of B4I and B4A seem high (for me at least - mine are typically in the 100MB range).
And 49% of your memory is being consumed. Might be worth checking when there is no problem.
The render thread failure referred to above results in an Insufficient Memory Exception.

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
Data point: If I move B4A to my home screen (laptop screen, with 2 additional monitors) and resize/split windows, it works fine.

As soon as I move B4A to a second (larger) monitor and try the same window operations, it freezes and eventually quits.

So my workaround is to do the window stuff first, then move it to the big monitor. No crashes since.

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I only started getting this after 11.50. I am now trying the Uncheck Auto Backup thing.

However, I think you are onto something with the graphics. I am having all kinds of Android/B4X issues with the GPU. Mainly in the emulators, but I think I have that stabilized now.

More later if it develops.

Same. it is why i gave up with Linux host with a Windows VM, and just went back to windows. I hate Windows more and more as time goes on, which is a shame because B4X is the only software I rely on everyday thats windows-only with no native linux build.

As much as I like B4X, i may end up learning other languages and moving away from B4X within time just because of being locked into a windows ecosystem, I am tired of it.

mmieher

Licensed User
Longtime User
Personally, I just have to accept this love / 'hate' relationship with B4A (not everybody in the family). I only 'hate' B4A when this happens, when somehow, I forgot to compulsively save. I hate Windows all the time.

mmieher

Licensed User
Longtime User
Try and disable backup in the IDE.
Absolutely does not work for me. Been OFF since seconds after I first heard this. I have NEVER used one of those backups. Mainly because I am addicted to my "own backup regimen". Of course it must be better. If a Windows App Error log will help the Erels, it is getting uploaded soon.

mmieher

Licensed User
Longtime User
Data point: If I move B4A to my home screen (laptop screen, with 2 additional monitors) and resize/split windows, it works fine.

As soon as I move B4A to a second (larger) monitor and try the same window operations, it freezes and eventually quits.

So my workaround is to do the window stuff first, then move it to the big monitor. No crashes since.
You can reproduce this at will? Note: I have had two large screens since soon after birth.

biometrics

Licensed User
Longtime User
As written above it might be the autobackup. It runs every 10 minutes and it runs on the main thread (due to technical reasons). If your project includes large assets files then it can cause such freezes.
I've been experiencing these freezes every now and again throughout the day. All the text goes out of focus for about 10 seconds and the IDE is unresponsive and then recovers. Was about to start a thread about it as it's become annoying. Then I saw your post and indeed it must be that as it's just done it now and there's a new zip file in to the auto backup directory. In my case I'm working with OpenCV with large 100MB model files so the zip takes a bit longer than my usual projects.

Can the interval be changed, I only see an Auto Backup checkbox in IDE Options? I like the feature but I'd be fine with every few hours.

mmieher

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've been experiencing these freezes every now and again throughout the day. All the text goes out of focus for about 10 seconds and the IDE is unresponsive and then recovers. Was about to start a thread about it as it's become annoying. Then I saw your post and indeed it must be that as it's just done it now and there's a new zip file in to the auto backup directory. In my case I'm working with OpenCV with large 100MB model files so the zip takes a bit longer than my usual projects.

Can the interval be changed, I only see an Auto Backup checkbox in IDE Options? I like the feature but I'd be fine with every few hours.
I don't think my B4A ever recovers from whatever it is. I might not be waiting long enough. One time (only) Windows Visual Studio suddenly started and thought it had something useful to "say". Wish I saved that dialog box. I thought I posted it but cannot find under "My Content". I think @agraham commented. One of the people I always listen to.

Last edited: