B4X in Linux/Wine/CrossOver?

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am thinking about jumping ship once the support for Windows 7 ends. I have Windows 10 on a work machine and my personal laptop and I just cant stand it. I cant stand how it works, and how Microsoft forces things on you.

I had to hack the crap out of the OS to get it usable for my liking. And even then Microsoft "forces" installation of certain games and apps that I uninstall. Ugh anyways. I digress

I was probably going to switch over to using some form of linux distro as my main OS, I have it on all my servers so why not use it at home too?

I was wondering if anyone has tested all the flavors of B4X in WINE, or CrossOver and if it worked and performed well? As this will make or break me jumping ship for the most part.

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Awwwwww poor baby!!!

Dude, Windows 10 ROCKS!!! and to customize it has more options that the old Windows 7, what you should do is research a little and that's it.

Want to get rid of all those crappy apps Win 10 comes with? well, you could take care of that with PowerShell or a tool like THIS which is written in PowerShell (I recommend it), for other settings (privacy, telemetry etc) just disable them is not that difficult.

Why people have to be so dramatic? :p

Enjoy!!!

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
Awwwwww poor baby!!!

Dude, Windows 10 ROCKS!!! and to customize it has more options that the old Windows 7, what you should do is research a little and that's it.

Want to get rid of all those crappy apps Win 10 comes with? well, you could take care of that with PowerShell or a tool like THIS which is written in PowerShell (I recommend it), for other settings (privacy, telemetry etc) just disable them is not that difficult.

Why people have to be so dramatic? :p

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for.... NOT... answering my question. All I will say at this point as I have learned not to feed the trolls.

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Two things, if you think I'm a troll, then, well, that's your opinion, and regarding answering your question, you are complaining that Win 10 is horrible, it is not, and I gave you the link to a good tool that will help you tidy up the OS, and also, there are other ways that you could streamline Windows from windows itself, not difficult at all, but, if you just want to just complain, then, I wish you the best.

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4J runs well in crossover but you need b4j bridge so you can compile with Java for Linux. The visual designer Will not work at all.

There have been many attempts to run B4x in Linux, most of them resulted in people having a virtual computer inside linux. (That also can attach b4j bridge to the host computer to run your creations)

I also do not like win 10, hate that it hijacks your bandwidth, your system resources, your time. Only because Microsoft thinks the updates are more valuable than your opinion.

EnriqueGonzalez

Licensed User
Longtime User

Reids

Licensed User
Longtime User
I already test B4X in linux environment using some distros, only ubuntu with wine working fine, well... you must install GDI+ lib to make it work (installer about 700mb size), because new B4X using kind of .Net UI framework, old B4X that without splash screen running well without GDI Plus

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
I already test B4X in linux environment using some distros, only ubuntu with wine working fine, well... you must install GDI+ lib to make it work (installer about 700mb size), because new B4X using kind of .Net UI framework, old B4X that without splash screen running well without GDI Plus

Thanks for the information.

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use Linux exclusively on all my physical hardware. But I run B4x inside a virtual Windows. I didn't bother trying to make it work under Wine. I need IE/Edge for web testing anyway.

For the emulator I use Genymotion which actually runs directly in Linux. It works perfectly.