Wish [B4X] More consistency in B4X controls.

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
See this post
I lose a LOT of time trying to figure out how to get the various components working across multiple platforms. The link is a good example of the sort of thing I am always running into. It would be REALLY nice if at least the context help that pops up would let you know which platforms a given function is available on. Think about how much time this cost me. Add is a command for a combo box. I had to come search for the Add command three different times and the final time I find out the command doesn't even exist. When I first did the list I used SetItems which is common to all. What I needed to do is add one item if the user chooses custom. But SetItems was there and is easier for just one item so I used it. Now I have to go back and rewrite the code to use SetItems.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. 100% of the public methods in XUI Views are cross platform.
2. As I don't like to limit developers, most of the internal fields are also exposed. Once you access an internal field, not everything is cross platform.
3. The XUI Views example fills a B4XComboBox and it obviously does it with the only relevant public method, which is SetItems.
It should be clear that the main feature of a cross platform combobox doesn't require such code:
B4X:
        #IF B4A
PortNumCmbo.cmbBox.Add(MP.DCUTs.smgr.Get("PortNum"))
#ELSE IF B4J
PortNumCmbo.cmbBox.Items.Add(MP.DCUTs.smgr.Get("PortNum"))
#Else
PortNumCmbo.????
        #End If
If you start writing such code then stop and look again in the available methods. This is of course not the correct way to do it.

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. 100% of the public methods in XUI Views are cross platform.
Ahh, now I think I understand! So in my example only what is available with PortNumCmbo.XXX is guaranteed to be cross platform?
I have seen so much use of B4XXXX.mBase.XXX I didn't realize that once you get beyond the original DOT you were in uncharted territory.
Thanks for making that clear.