B4X Tools to use in Dev Work ?

KiloBravo

Licensed User
Good Day,

I wasn't sure where to post this question but thought I would start here. I have not been on the forum a lot lately. (work, family, etc..)
Anyway I am trying to resurrect some unfinished projects and re-create them with B4Xpages. Previously, I mostly used B4R and B4J.

What tools are you folks using from the forum to help with development ? Is there a central place on the forum where they are listed ?
For Example, I here a lot about a spreadsheet and code snippets. I also have a copy of B4X_HelpViewer. No idea if it is the current version or not.
I am fine with purchasing tools or utilities from members if they help in my development work/fun with B4X.

Any information or links would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
KB

P.S. I mainly work with ESP* Modules (B4R) communicating with B4J UI apps, but I am transitioning to B4XPages so the code is cross platform.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What tools are you folks using from the forum to help with development ?
One popular is Git, as source control, handling versions etc. I prefer Mercurial myself, which does the same as Git but is easier to use. (But most people gravitate towards Git, so that can be a better choice for you, depending on your situation.) Here's a post that contain some more info about Git and Mercurial:

I also like Meld for comparing files and/or directories:

For designing the user interface I like WireframeSketcher:

Other than that I don't think I use a whole lot. I'm sure other people can add their recommendations.

Is there a central place on the forum where they are listed ?
Nope.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it depends on the type of project you usually develop.

If you want to view some text files like HTML, JSON, JavaScript, INI files then Sublime Text and VS Code are useful.
If you are working with MySQL database, it is useful to have Laragon.
For SQLite, I use DB Browser for SQLite.

There are many projects shared by fellow members in Share Your Creations (B4J) and B4R.
Check tons of B4J Libraries and Code Snippets.

To get latest updates on the Libraries, Subscribe to B4J library updates.

There are list of official B4X Libraries in Excel format and also B4XGoodies (Excel) and (Web).

For B4XPages, search forum on related threads and start with the ThreePagesExample tutorial.

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If you want to view some text files like HTML, JSON, JavaScript, INI files then Sublime Text and VS Code are useful.
If you are working with MySQL database, it is useful to have Laragon.
For SQLite, I use DB Browser for SQLite.
Oh, you left the immediate B4X world and looked wider! :) In that case I have more tools to recommend:

Sublime Text - such a nice editor, I use that for all text and code editing outside B4X

DBeaver - very nice when working with databases, which I seem to do every day

ngrok - for exposing server publically that is running on localhost

TortoiseHg - GUI for Mercurial (I only use it to read source, all my commits and push/pull I do from command line)

And a handful of other tools that probably only make sense if you're mainly a Linux user (I am).

KiloBravo

Licensed User
I was a Dev a few decades ago! Now I am more of an Admin Desk Jockey! :-(
I am mainly using B4X for personal projects.

Sandman, why would I ever leave B4X ? I like the IDE and Cross Platform capabilities with B4XPages.
***Not trolling, I know that can be a hotly debated topic. I read more than a few threads in this forum on that topic!

Klaus, I have read your Booklets a few times (They are very helpful). I have also watched all of the Erel's Videos more than once.
I think I have made it through the curve of moving from B4J to B4XPages, for the most part.

Aeric, I looked thru the first 21 pages of the share your creations forum looking for B4X Dev Tools.

There is a ton of information in the forum and I have been reading thru it looking for helpful B4X Dev Tools.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions but was mainly looking for B4X Tools that folks on this forum have created to use with B4X.
I do have B4X_HelpViewer. I am probably going to buy Im Snippets Manager if LucaMs has not raised the price to $200 euros! :)

Folks on this forum are very helpful and generous with there time and I greatly appreciate it.

Again, thanks for all your tips and suggestions! Have Great Day (or night)!

AngelHill

Hey KB, great to see you diving back into your projects! Have you checked out the B4X community's GitHub repository? It's a treasure trove of tools and snippets that could really streamline your development process. Looking forward to hearing more about your transition to B4XPages!

Blue WhatsApp