Android Question B4XPages.. What is it?

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
So I noticed this new B4X Pages thing. I am having a difficult time comprehending what it actually is. I read the Debut/tutorial thread that Erel has posted, but its just not clicking inside my head, feeling like a solution to a problem that I cant see. Maybe I am not interpreting it properly.

Is this like AHViewPager or something (I used this library)? I am seeing it heavily promoted here so I'm a bit confused.

Sorry, I would just like to know more is all.

Thanks.

Martin Larsen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've created a tutorial that better explains the problems that B4XPages solve

And that is a very good tutorial indeed! It makes it very clear.

If I should add more to techknights issues about understanding the advantage of B4XPages, it would be that it makes the whole process of creating cross platform apps much more streamlined. I have never had any problems understanding Android's life cycles myself, but when developing an app with both B4A and B4i the differences becomes a burden and you easily get confused because you are switching back and forth between two very different ways of handling the life cycles. And you end up with an considerable amount of extra code to take care of the differences.

With B4XPages you implement the same life cycles in both environments (and B4J if you use that) and you can save a lot of code. And potential bugs too!

I would call B4XPages a whole new paradigm in cross platform development.

But note that even if you only develop in B4A it still makes things much easier.

Upvote 0

ivan.tellez

Licensed User
Longtime User
No. TabStripViewPager is similar to AHViewPager.

I'm not sure that I can explain better than I did here: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...k-for-managing-multiple-pages.118901/#content
Have you played with the three pages example?

TabStripViewPager is a view that presents/shows/hides various panels/pages in a single activity

B4XPageManager is a class that presents/shows/hides various panels/pages in a single activity

Nothing alike!

Sure, it helps with less problems than deling with life cicles, solving a lot of issues and it is easier than managing multiple panels by hand and having all the code in a single activity, but still, TabStripViewPager sounds like a fair analogy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
TabStripViewPager is a view that presents/shows/hides various panels/pages in a single activity

B4XPageManager is a class that presents/shows/hides various panels/pages in a single activity
Not really important, but this is only a valid comparison if you insist on ignoring the details.

You can see the complete list of challenges solved by B4XPages: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...hat-exactly-does-it-solve.119078/#post-744771

(BTW, I wrote both libraries so you can give me some credit that I know what I'm talking about ;))

Upvote 0

netsistemas

Licensed User
Longtime User
This thecnic is easy to use and undersntand, but my first impresión was 'ulalal' new fauteres changing thenic? but no.
you can think thans this thenic is only, LOADLAYOUT in one screen/activity, and all code in one activity, but .... all code in one active and a lot of 'of loadlayout'?.... crazy!!!
the code are used/modulated in class: and easy to mantenance.
internaly, all code are loaded in one activity, and then, there are not activity_pause and other 'weird things ' than for a begginter (developers From vb60, by sample) are rare/strange.

TABCONTROL (pagecontrol), that is similar to this, and can use to understand best that... but, then you undestand this, you say 'graeat'.

Upvote 0