Share My Creation BasicIDE Suite 2 - Now with on-device visual designer and syntax highlighting editor!

BasicIDE Suite 2 is now deprecated in favour of the newer BasicIDE Suite 3
BasicIDE Suite 3 - Now further improved | B4X Programming Forum

BasicIDE version 5.2 now includes an improved editor with syntax highlighting, runtime error indication and autocompletion.
You need the new CodeEditorView library in AdditionalLibraries3.zip, other libraries are the same as for version 5.0.

This is an updated version of my programming IDE that runs independently of B4A on the device itself. You can read these original postings for a bit of background.
BasicIDE Suite - on device development IDE
BasicIDE
In this latest version BasicIDE has been further polished with significant additions to the Script module increasing the capabilities of programs. However the most significant addition is BasicIDE Designer, an on-device visual designer for creating view layouts.

The two B4A projects are attached below and include full B4A source code to do with as you will. Installation instructions are in the BasicIDE.chm help file in the BasicIDE project Help folder. I suggest that before extracting the zip files they should be unblocked by right clicking on it in File Explorer, selecting Properties and checking Unblock at the lower right of the General tab. In particular this allows the .chm help files to be properly displayed by Windows. If the .chm files are not unblocked their content will not be available in the Windows help viewer.

Owing to forum upload size constraints I have split out the required additional libraries for BasicIDE into a separate archive.

Here's a screen shot of the Designer. You can drag views around, resize them and change their parent, text and color. Unlimited nesting of views on Panels on other Panels is supported. Once finalised you can save the layout and load it into BasicIDE with the supplied template that includes boiler plate event code and start programming. If you want to later change the layout you can, just modify it in the Designer and reload it into your BasicDE program keeping all your coding intact.

I've also added a screen shot of the new syntax highlighting editor that also has runtime error indication and autocompletion for both B4ASript intrinsic keywords and the additional functions added by the BasicIDE project Script module.

designer.jpg
syntax.jpg

Attachments

• BasicIDEDesigner_v1.0.zip
    114.3 KB · Views: 598
  • BasicIDE_5.2.zip
    504.3 KB · Views: 530
  • AdditionalLibraries3.zip
    235 KB · Views: 493
Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I realised that I omitted the latest version of BasicLib from the additional library archive. It has no added functionality over the previous version but will now accept spaces between a Sub name and the opening parenthesis of the parameter list.

Last edited:

philippe chatillon

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello !
very interesting !
but I have an error message about "maven artifact" :
B4A Version : 10.2
Java Version : 11
Analyse du code. (0.20s)
Building folders structure. (0.01s)
Compilation du code. (1.08s)
Compilation du code des layouts. (0.06s)
Organiser les bibliothèques. Error
Maven artifact pas trouvé. com.android.support/support-v4
what is this maven artifact ? and how can I solve the issue ?
thanks a lot
Philippe

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Which project causes the error. As far as I know I don't use com.android.support/support-v4 so I've no idea I'm afraid. You are using B4A 10.2 so I suggest that you get the latest SDK from here and follow the instructions when it should just work.

Roberto P.

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Agraham
interesting, can you kindly explain to me what is the purpose and the advantage offered by this tool?
thank you

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
BasicIDE version 5.2 has a new syntax highlighting editor that also has runtime error indication and autocompletion for both B4ASript intrinsic keywords and the additional functions added by the BasicIDE project Script module. You need the new CodeEditorView library in AdditionalLibraries3.zip, other libraries are the same as for version 5.0.

Last edited:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is anyone using BasicIDE Suite and is interested in the latest updates to the Suite? I see that it has had some downloads but no questions have been posted which seems a bit strange. I guess people haven't really got a use for it or they might have found some of the bugs that I've fixed :) Putting together the package for posting is a significant amount of work, only worth doing if there is real interest.

I have carried on developing this and as DroidScript is no longer available Google yet again disgusts me 🤮 | B4X Programming Forum this is the only really viable on-device IDE that I am aware of. If you know of another please let me know - it might even be better than this ;)

Significant changes are

BasicIDE

1) Async dialogs are now supported using a callback mechanism. Synchronous ones are available but deprecated.
2) Because debugging formerly relied on the deprecated Msgbox it has been overhauled to be programmatically invoked using Async dialogs
2) A few typos and missing items in the syntax highlighting and autocomplete are fixed.
3) All array, variable and Sub names are now available to autocomplete, updated whenever Enter is pressed
4) New CodeEditorView v1.20 has a custom ArrayAdapter that needs no manifest entries or inline Java (cribbed from some of Erel's B4A code - thank you) and has Search background highlighting added.
5) Editor can now do find, search and replace
6) Clipboard access for text items added to the language because it was needed by one of my apps

BasicIDE Designer

1) Various minor enhancements and UI bugfixes
2) Added landscape layout capability so programs can now cope with device rotation

BasicIDE Launcher

1) Launcher app has been added to the suite to enable rapid launch of completed programs by selection from a list

Last edited:

AbdurRahman

Hi @agraham,
Thanks for the nice contribution ! ❤

By using your additionalLibs, I notice GPStoOSGB lib is missing,

From reading, I can't able to judge the use case as Roberto mentioned before.
Is it android code editor that do supports displaying visuals as well ?
or b4a code builder for android ?

I wouldn't have ask that question, if I would have able to build.
I'm using latest b4a, with sdk that b4x recommends, and with normal jdk.
Please view log:
B4X:
B4A Version: 10.70
Parsing code.    (1.02s)
    Java Version: 8
Building folders structure.    (0.02s)
Compiling code.    (0.36s)
Compiling layouts code.    (0.03s)
Organizing libraries.    Error
Maven artifact not found: com.android.support/support-v4

Regards.

Attachments

• error.png
    error.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 215

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it android code editor that do supports displaying visuals as well ?
It's an on device IDE for writing apps on the device using a language similar to B4A.

For your compile error see posts #3, #4 and #5 above. Looks like you have an old SDK. Make sure you are using B4A 10.70 and install a new SDK following the instructions exactly.

By using your additionalLibs, I notice GPStoOSGB lib is missing,
So it is. Sorry. Find it here if you haven't already
(1) GPStoOSGB library | B4X Programming Forum

AbdurRahman

Hi Sir Erel, Nothing happens when I click:
Tools > Jetifier (AndroidX)
Even I used latest commandlinetools but still no luck.

Hi agraham,
this project looks interesting to me.
I'm using
b4a: v10.70
jdk: v1.8.0-25
sdk: 100% same as recommend on b4a download page:
commandlinetools-win-6609375_latest.zip
resources_9_20.zip

I can build other code easily. So I guess sdk won't be a problem. or may this project needs lower sdk ?
Would you NOT mind adding a *.apk release ? I'm excited to have give a try and also recommend to friends.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The project as posted should compile fine under B4A 10.70 and the latest SDK. If it doesn't then there is something wrong with the SDK installation. You did use 7-Zip to extract it didn't you?

EDIT: As my own copy has moved on to version 3 I downloaded the BasicIDE project above and it compiles fine except that you need to remove the line
AddManifestText(<edtSource android:imeOptions="flagNoExtractUi|flagNoFullscreen" />)
from the manifext for B4A 10.7. It actually does nothing and previous B4A versions ignored it but v10.70 errors it.

Last edited:

AbdurRahman

Hi Sir,
7zip is my default file archiver from several years.

And I also removed
AddManifestText(<edtSource android:imeOptions="flagNoExtractUi|flagNoFullscreen" />)
from manifest editor, but seen no effect.

AbdurRahman

Problem is compile error: Maven artifact not found: com.android.support/support-v4
B4A Version: 10.70
Parsing code. (1.02s)
Java Version: 8
Building folders structure. (0.02s)
Compiling code. (0.36s)
Compiling layouts code. (0.03s)
Organizing libraries. Error
Maven artifact not found: com.android.support/support-v4