B4J Question best Linux distribution for simple cloudKVS B4J server?

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

I created a B4A checklist app that stores data locally on the device, but now I'd like to offer users the option to collaborate on their lists with others, so I'm planning to use cloudKVS on a VPS. (Already have a test app working on a Windows laptop with 2 Android devices connecting over local wifi.)

To get it working on a VPS, however, that's where I'm a novice, so I thought asking y'all some basic questions might save me some hair pulling later. :)

I don't know Windows servers or Linux servers, but the latter seem cheaper and more common, so will probably go with that.

I plan to just run the vanilla cloudKVS B4J server on SSL. I may also host some web pages on the same server (privacy policies, etc.) using an existing domain I own.

Given this, is there a particular Linux distro I should use? Any pros or cons to any of them? Or which versions of each (e.g. if I went with Ubuntu, just get the latest version?)

Any tips appreciated!

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I created a B4A checklist app that stores data locally on the device,
I do exactly this, with a twist. I produce a PDF on the device of the completed checklist, and send to the server for storage.

I assume this is SQLite for storage locally. On the backend, you could use MySQL - as I do, using jRDBC.
Ubuntu (latest build) is what I use and works flawlessly. Learning curve - Yes - but well worth the brain exercise.
The VPS must allow you to control YOUR environment. That's why I purchase a cheap server - I am in total control....

Need more structure info to comment specifically. (ie. code , table design, etc).
Thx

Upvote 0

Dave O

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm running cloudKVS, so my client app is storing data in the local SQLite data store, which syncs to the central SQLite data store on the server. That's the standard cloudKVS Java server app without modifications.

So, I assume I just need to follow the instructions in Run a server on a VPS, test it, then add SSL and point my domain to it.

Any tips on distros, SSL, etc.?

Upvote 0