Wish Better Communication between the IDE and the Designer.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi EREL...

I've just lost about 2 weeks worth of Visual Designer Work.
I admit, it's my fault, and only mine...
What happened?

Well, I was re-organizing a Designer Form... And as I went along, as I often do, I'd fire up a compile in Debug mode... When I was finally happy with my new re-organized Design, I fired a Release Compilation... I was happy, so, from the files tab in the IDE, I deleted the Old Design Form, and renamed the new Design Form... All went well... only not! during all this process I had the Designer opened with the files I was working on...
I always had the impression that when firing a compilation, both Code and Design files were automatically saved...
So on my last compile it errors reclaiming a pane's initialization... and it hitted me, the Designer is still open with the files having still their original names...
Closing the file I had deleted in the IDE didn't show any warning, as expected, since the file didn't exist anymore... althou since the file was changed in the designer it should have asked if I wanted to save...
But, closing the file I had renamed in the IDE, triggered an error claiming that there was an issue with the original file and that it couldn't find it (Of course, I had renamed it!)... the options proposed were to continue or not... and as I assumed the file had been renamed had been saved... only to find that not!
So my wish is, more awareness from the IDE about what the Designer is currently doing, like in this case, not allowing one file to be deleted from the IDE files tab and another to be renamed, while those files are still in use (read open) in the Designer!

Last edited: