iOS Question BitmapCreator and memory issue?

CaptKronos

Licensed User
I am probably doing something silly here but should the following code work? Depending on the bitmap's dimensions the loop crashes after a consistent number of iterations. The larger the dimensions, the fewer the iterations before it crashes. (With 1280x720 it crashes after 394 iterations on an iPhone SE.) I assume there is some memory issue at play. Nothing is written to the log when it crashes, the app simply closes. I have never seen it crash on the simulator but that's perhaps due to the amount of memory available?
I have included a couple of comments in the code just to show that the real code is doing something more interesting than writing a black bitmap on top of another 1000 times!

B4X:
bc1.Initialize(1280,720)
bc1.DrawRect(bc1.TargetRect,Colors.Black,True,1)
Dim bmp As B4XBitmap=bc1.Bitmap
bc2.Initialize(1280,720)
For i=1 To 1000
     'generate a new bmp
     bc2.DrawBitmap(bmp, bc2.TargetRect, True)
     'write bc2.bitmap
     Log(i)
Next

CaptKronos

Licensed User
Sorry, my text is confusing. The tests don't include the code to generate the new bmp. It crashes purely with:
B4X:
For i=1 To 1000
     bc2.DrawBitmap(bmp, bc2.TargetRect, True)
     Log(i)
Next

Upvote 0

CaptKronos

Licensed User
I thought you meant that the "generate a new bmp" code was not releasing memory. I still don't understand why having the one bitmap generated before the loop starts and then copying it to a BitmapCreator (1000 times) should generate any memory issues.

However, I can confirm that the following works
B4X:
for i=1 to 1000
   bc2.DrawBitmapCreator(bc1, bc1.TargetRect,0,0, True)
   log(i)
next

The reason I didn't take that route initially was, once I get to the real code, I would have to convert the bitmap, from "getNextBitmap", to a BitmapCreator and hence run into the memory issues again. Something like:
B4X:
For i=1 To 1000
    bmp=getNextBitmap
    bmpRect.Initialize(0,0,bmp.Width,bmp.Height)
    bc1.DrawBitmap(bmp, bmpRect, True)   
    bc2.DrawBitmapCreator(bc1, bc1.TargetRect,0,0, True)
    Log(i)
Next

I guess what I need to do is instead of having a "getNextBitmap", I create a "getNextBitmapCreator" and then its output can be used directly by DrawBitmapcreator.

Upvote 0