B4J Question Can i charge for doing a Wrapper for a library which is under Apache license

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can i charge for doing a Wrapper for a library which is under Apache license?

I´m doing a wrapper for PDFBox.

As it is a lot of work doing the wrapper and creating all the different objects which needs to be wrapped....
I want to give the library away as chargeable library.

Am i allowed to do this when PDFBox itself is under Apache license?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ALL Linux distros are free, BUT most of the computer magazines charge a small value for the physical support. I would say your work fall into the same cat, the base lib may be free, but you are exposing it to a world it was not exposed before, so I recon it's up to you to decide if your time and work should be rewarded.
another example, Linux is free but if you take your pc to a techshop, they will charge for the installation of it onto your computer.

Upvote 0

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can i charge for doing a Wrapper for a library which is under Apache license?

I´m doing a wrapper for PDFBox.

As it is a lot of work doing the wrapper and creating all the different objects which needs to be wrapped....
I want to give the library away as chargeable library.

Am i allowed to do this when PDFBox itself is under Apache license?

@DonManfred Nice to see you active in the B4J Forum! maybe the libraries sub group will double in pages! If you get bored, we seem to have a lack of gfx manipulation libs, I was looking to make icons on the fly for use with your excellent work the other day on the jShortcuts lib! but after a lot of work, i found that putting 2 images in a canvas, and then snapshot it, didn't seem to work if the images and canvas where hidden! which i wanted to do really! So maybe if something catches your eye think of me!

Thanks

Aidy

Upvote 0