B4J Question Cannot debug with B4J-Bridge on a remote Ubuntu server

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have problems with getting B4J-Bridge to work.
I run the jar on my remote-server (as Root user) and it starts correctly and starts listening. When I connect from B4J, it seems like the connection is established correctly.

However, when I launch the program in Debug-mode (it's a console server app), the IDE keeps indicating "Waiting for debugger to connect..". Nothings happens.

In the folder where I installed B4J-Bridge, a folder named "tempjars" was created. Inside there is a file named AsyncInput2.

I had to open port 6790 in the firewall of the Ubuntu server to get it working. I guess the FTP-ports are not needed unless I use this feature or am I wrong?

Here is a screenshot:
upload_2018-1-17_14-58-29.png

What am I missing?

Last edited:

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hmm....noted that on the remote server OpenJDK is installed. Could this be the problem?
Not sure since everything else is just working fine.....

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess the FTP-ports are not needed unless I use this feature or am I wrong?
You are correct.

Hmm....noted that on the remote server OpenJDK is installed. Could this be the problem?
No.

You need to open port 59812 for the debugger. If it doesn't work try to open: 8937 and 8938 as well.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If it doesn't work try to open: 8937 and 8938 as well
Thanks Erel, I got it working but I had to open ports 8937 and 8938 too.

Ps: perhaps the information about opening said ports in the firewall might be useful to add to the original post?

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had to open port 6790 in the firewall of the Ubuntu server to get it working
I had to open ports 8937 and 8938 too
Interesting. I'm using version 16.04.X LTS version of Ubuntu server for a project (involving B4J) and I had to do nothing to use the remote debugging (besides using root to launch the bridge). All I'm using is the base install with only the SSH server enabled. Do you have additional firewalling installed/configured?

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do you have additional firewalling installed/configured?
Cannot really say because this Ubuntu server was set up by a colleague and not by me.
Anyway, to open the necessary ports I used UFW (Uncomplicated Firewall).

Upvote 0