Share My Creation Carol's Cookbook

Another app from the upcoming book.

Cookbook database that you can use on a 7" or 10" tablet. There's really too much for a phone.

Edit, Delete, View recipes.

Please let me know what you think.

25-03-2013 - Uploaded new source and apk - version 0.50a8
Changes include:
Error when search not found L657, L339
Grey screen when leaving and returning to app L209
Error when not selecting from list for category L518, L643
Changed DBFileDir to FILE.DirDefaultExternal
If user clicks off category list in category search, InTitle radiobutton is set to checked.
Changed theme to Holo.Light

Attachments

• Cookbook.apk
    345.3 KB · Views: 562
  • cookbook.zip
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,221
  • CarolsCookbook.jpg
    CarolsCookbook.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 6,710
  • Cookbook-05a8.apk
    344.6 KB · Views: 514
  • cookbook-05a8.zip
    118.9 KB · Views: 1,132
Last edited:

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Good app.

A few observations after testing it on a Nexus 7 tab.

1- The last column on the right gets cut off see HERE

2- The text colors in the "search" panel on the left are hard to see, check the screenshot above and also HERE

3- Searching for "Asian" in the title for example, triggers THIS error, in fact, when a result is not found this error shows up.

4- The text also gets cut off on THIS screen.

5- Some positioning doesn't look right, like HERE

6- If I select from the search menu "Categories" and I press the BACK key, I see THIS error

7- If I close and open the app, I get a blank screen like THIS, however, I can tap on the screen and get events, it seems that grey screen is blocking it, to see your app again I have to force close.

8- The "Cookbook.db" should be placed in the File.DirDefaultExternal, putting it in FileRootExternal will cause that if you uninstall the app you will leave "orphan" files on the user's device which will take unnecessary space.

I suggest you use the Designer Scripts instead of creating variants.

Keep up the good work!!!

Last edited:

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for the observations.
I'll note them and get to work on them.

Good app.

A few observations after testing it on a Nexus 7 tab.

1- The last column on the right gets cut off see HERE

2- The text colors in the "search" panel on the left are hard to see, check the screenshot above and also HERE

3- Searching for "Asian" in the title for example, triggers THIS error, in fact, when a result is not found this error shows up.

4- The text also gets cut off on THIS screen.

5- Some positioning doesn't look right, like HERE

6- If I select from the search menu "Categories" and I press the BACK key, I see THIS error

7- If I close and open the app, I get a blank screen like THIS, however, I can tap on the screen and get events, it seems that grey screen is blocking it, to see your app again I have to force close.

8- The "Cookbook.db" should be placed in the File.DirDefaultExternal, putting it in FileRootExternal will cause that if you uninstall the app you will leave "orphan" files on the user's device which will take unnecessary space.

I suggest you use the Designer Scripts instead of creating variants.

Keep up the good work!!!

Thaca

Licensed User
Longtime User
My english is not very good. I'm a french user. But i would like thank you for sharing. It's nice to share your application with the code.
On my samsung galaxy tab 10.1 no problem with the last column. It's works good.
Otherwise i have the same problems than NJDude.
This application will allow me to progress in using VB4A. Thanks a lot.

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
@Thaca,
Thank you. I will be putting a new version that should fix all the issues sometime either today or tomorrow.

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
New version updated.
Should fix all issues reported by NJDude and Thaca. Using a different 7" device emulator.

PenguinHero

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi gregwa,

I tried this out on my Kindle Fire, and it looked quite nice, except for some minor formatting/truncation issues. This may well be a quirk of the KF, as it has some odd behaviours...

I've attached an image with an example, which I've highlighted in red.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the first time I ran it (but not again) it complained that the splash1.jpg was missing. And the second and subsequent times I run it it says that the database is not open. For both errors if I choose the continue option it seems to run ok.

Attachments

• Cookbook.jpg
    Cookbook.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The app looks a little better, however, still have some issues:

1- Some ingredients are showing some "escape" characters, see the first item on the left side HERE

2- You still have some problems getting the right side chopped up, see HERE and HERE

3- If you go to Maintenance and then click on the Add button in the categories column, it will take even an EMPTY entry, I can just tap the Add button several times and get lots of empty lines, same goes for the Units of measurements. See HERE

4- Tapping on the "restore database from backup" button generates THIS error, you should first check if the file exists.

Last edited:

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi PenguinHero. Thanks for the report.
No, the image you took is not a quirk of the KF. It's that the ingredient entry is log to fit into the listview. Since the listview size is static, I chose to leave it like that and allow the user to long-tap (long-click) to see the entire thing. I really haven't been able to figure a better work around.

As to the other issues, I'll look into them.

Hi gregwa,

I tried this out on my Kindle Fire, and it looked quite nice, except for some minor formatting/truncation issues. This may well be a quirk of the KF, as it has some odd behaviours...

I've attached an image with an example, which I've highlighted in red.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the first time I ran it (but not again) it complained that the splash1.jpg was missing. And the second and subsequent times I run it it says that the database is not open. For both errors if I choose the continue option it seems to run ok.

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
NJDude,
Thanks. I've added those to the list and should be fixed in a day or two.
Just out of curiosity, what screen dimensions is your Nexus 7? I've tested it on my wife's Galaxy tab 7 and a 7 inch emulator and thought that everything, formatting wise, was done.

The app looks a little better, however, still have some issues:

1- Some ingredients are showing some "escape" characters, see the first item on the left side HERE

2- You still have some problems getting the right side chopped up, see HERE and HERE

3- If you go to Maintenance and then click on the Add button in the categories column, it will take even an EMPTY entry, I can just tap the Add button several times and get lots of empty lines, same goes for the Units of measurements. See HERE

4- Tapping on the "restore database from backup" button generates THIS error, you should first check if the file exists.

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The Nexus 7 screen is 1280x800 scale=1.33 (213 dpi).

Like I mentioned on my first post, you should use the designer scripts and not use variants, the reason is because with using variants you will always have issues like this with certain devices.

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Just started working on that. I wanted to make sure I had an emulator that would work the same as yours, so I could test the designer scripts.

I should have a new version sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for all your good help.

The Nexus 7 screen is 1280x800 scale=1.33 (213 dpi).

Like I mentioned on my first post, you should use the designer scripts and not use variants, the reason is because with using variants you will always have issues like this with certain devices.

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
... I wanted to make sure I had an emulator that would work the same as yours, so I could test the designer scripts.

The beauty of working with designer scripts is that you don't need to know the dimensions or resolutions, in your case, is even simpler since your app is landscape only, so, whatever landscape size will do.

androidtom

Licensed User
Longtime User
holo.light

I see in the comments that the theme was changed to holo.light. I'm a newbie, where is the theme setting? The reason I ask is cause I'm getting the following error compiling this: Error: No resource found that matches the given name (at 'theme' with value '@android:style/Theme.Holo.Light')

thanks!!!!

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's in the manifest editor.
Under Project | Manifest Editor
you can add the following line...
B4X:
SetApplicationAttribute(android:theme, "@android:style/Theme.Holo.Light")

Last edited:

androidtom

Licensed User
Longtime User
holo light theme

Thank You for the reply. Yes, I found the theme in the manifest editor. That line is correctly set. I'm guessing it was put there as part of the Cookbook sample download. The real issue is I don't have the holo.light theme in my emulator installation which is just a default installation. Commenting out the line doesn't seem to work either.

I either need to figure out how to install the holo.light stuff or possibly find an earlier version of Cookbook that possibly doesn't use it.

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Try just removing the line completely.

androidtom

Licensed User
Longtime User
That did it

Removing the holo.light line from the manifest allowed the compile to complete and the emulator to load. It couldn't find something called splash1.jpg but I just gave it a generic jpg image and all was well and the application started normally. Thank You.

gregwa

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm not sure why the splash.jpg didn't get included in the zip file, but I'm glad you were able to get things working.