Games Children learning game structure

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
HI, All

It's planned to make non-action learning game, where user reads\listens to the learning materials and clicks only for settings and selecting chapters.
1) No fast actions are planned, but constantly animating objects, icons, menus are required: say, staying hero, but moving by the head, closing-opening eyes...
2) and async playback of several music files at the same time, long and short.
3) B4J project is the priority, but cross-planforming is also in mind...
4) Better to make different B4Xpages for different chapters ?
5) Is XUI2D framework OK for such development ? Or maybe any other suggestions ?

Last edited:

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Animation is required, yes. Mouse control mostly, no keyboard, as i understand.
I guessed that for many animating sprites on the screen - some game engine is better than lots of icons lists and timers...

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guessed that for many animating sprites on the screen - some game engine is better than lots of icons lists and timers...
this is true especially for ios. since xui2d is cross platform it is a good choice. you can also use the implemented 2d physic engine with xui2d.
normally for simple animations the core library is good enough but again if you would like to extend the app in the future with more advanced animation or maybe physics then it is better to write the app using a game engine from the beginning than later re-write the whole app.

xui2d is a good choice!

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it possible such animating hero (or any other menu, button, object), not static ? Over the background and under the control buttons...layers and mouse clicking each.
Screen_Recorder+_20230212171545 (online-video-cutter.com).gif

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it possible such animating hero (or any other menu, button, object), not static ? Over the background and under the control buttons...layers and mouse clicking each.
View attachment 139207
yes sure this is possible.
if you use a panel and get the xy from the panel touch then you can animate the eyes to look to that point etc. the same is also possible with xui2d
don't see anything special here

peacemaker

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I mean - how "hard" to make such animating hero ? Without a game engine i would prepare some frames and looped them by the timer.
Is it simpler anyhow in xui2d ?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Without a game engine i would prepare some frames and looped them by the timer.
u can use the same approach with xui2d. if you have a spritesheet and want just to show an animation by looping through the spritesheet than the same can be done in xui2d but i dont know if this is what you really want. i though the eyes are pointing to the direction of the mouse. in this case it must be done differently.
the question is what you really want to archive. you can do anything in xui2d that can be done without xui2d. the principal is the same. the benefit of xui2d is that you also get better performance then just using b4xcanvas and also you have box2d implemented (physic engine) and of course that it is cross platform.

have a look at this:

this is a project i stated long time ago (never finished) it is using xui2d. the animation for the fire is just looping between frames but everything else uses physic bodies.