Wish Clearing B4A Log

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
maybe
if clearlog then
and clearlog return false if the device is not connected to b4a. If it is the log inside b4a should be cleared...

I like the idea!

JakeBullet70

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nope, saying that at a certain point in my code I want to clear it.
And yes, I am a programmer so of course I am lazy... o_O

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
This is a nice idea however the "cost" (time and added complexity) to implement it are much higher than the (small) benefit.

The only way that user code directly interacts with the IDE is through the logs. It is possible to send commands through the logs. This is how LogColor works for example (and there are other cases as well).
However a "clear command" cannot work this way as it will cause the logs to clear in unwanted situations. For example when the IDE connects to the logs and then sees an old clear command.

wimpie3

Licensed User
Longtime User
+1 for that... I often have to look through the entire log file to see where the latest run begins.

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Could this be implemented now?, as log clearing at compile is now possible.

Thank you Erel.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@Erel :

what about log("!clearlog") or something ?

as you go through the lines to make them into single line selectable items in the log view it should be easy to detect that and clear the log.

there's no need for fancy code sending or something like that just a 5 minute hack like this will work. (just an additional if/then in the ide's log routines)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it can be handy sometimes, I agree...

but if it requires a lot of (re)coding for a handfull of people that will use it it might not be worth it like you wrote.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Guys...
How about a simple sub like:
Sub ClearLog
For n=0 to 50
log (" ")
Next
log ("Log Cleared")
End sub

I know, this does not clear the log, but it will at least give you a blank log sheet!