Share My Creation Clumsy Bird + Source Code

hallo friends,

after erel added a build in designer to B4J (and because i am a designer developer guy) i played a little bit with the new b4j (what i have not done before, because i hated the java builder) and this is what came out...

have fun !

EDIT: new version available!

screenshot.png

Attachments

• B4J - Clumsy Bird.zip
    92.3 KB · Views: 418
  • clumsybird.jar
    396.5 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
thanx erel, could it be that the speed is different on different screen resolutions?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the downforce gets too high. sometimes you click while still having 1/3 of the playfield below your and you crash.

my "high score" is 2 I think :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the downforce gets too high. sometimes you click while still having 1/3 of the playfield below your and you crash.

my "high score" is 2 I think :)

on my pc it runs fine, maybe the different screen resolution make a difference?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok i tried it now with a different screen resolution and i get the same result (what i think is ok) :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Good work! I agree with Erel it is a bit too difficult. As sorex said the downforce seems too high.

sorry, but i don't understand what you mean with downforce to high...

can you check the source code and tell me what is wrong??

btw, as you know flappy bird is not an easy game, it should be hard to play.. but i don't think i did it to difficult.. :rolleyes:

(My Best is 4 :D)

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
birdfallCD = birdfallCD + 1

change it to .7 or something (and make it a double)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
birdfallCD = birdfallCD + 1

change it to .7 or something (and make it a double)

i know where i can make it slower o_O (i wrote the code from 0), what i meant is i would like to know if the game is only difficult or there is different behavior on different pc's.
what i see so far is that its only a little bit difficult.

inakigarm

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great job Ilan!!

Speed is OK on I5 5GB win8.1 but gameplay is very difficult !!! Setting birdjumpCD to a lower setting help a lot (Score 14 with birdjumpCD =6 :D:D)

Thanks for sharing !!

giga

Licensed User
Longtime User
I also was able to make the user work harder by doing the below.
example. " birdjumpCD = 4"

B4X:
    Sub MainForm_MouseClicked (EventData As MouseEvent)
        If birddead = False And gameon = True Then
'            mp_flap.Position = 0
'            mp_flap.Play
            birdjump = True
            birdjumpCD = 4 ' example it was 15 ( adjust here to whatever)
            birdfallCD = 0   
        End If
    End Sub

this makes the user work harder with the MouseClick.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I dont think it should be so easy to play. Flappy bird is a hard game. I tried to make it similar, but thats the reason i include the source code, you can play with it and make it like you want.. :)

Btw: This code can be very easy converted to a b4i code... ;)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I also was able to make the user work harder by doing the below.
example. " birdjumpCD = 4"

B4X:
    Sub MainForm_MouseClicked (EventData As MouseEvent)
        If birddead = False And gameon = True Then
'            mp_flap.Position = 0
'            mp_flap.Play
            birdjump = True
            birdjumpCD = 4 ' example it was 15 ( adjust here to whatever)
            birdfallCD = 0  
        End If
    End Sub

this makes the user work harder with the MouseClick.

Be careful not to break your mouse :D

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great work.. very nice..
Ilan, I think the problem is the relationship between the bird jump speed and the bars movement speed..
instead of adjusting each independently, try to tie the bird vertical speed with the bars horizontal speed (relative to each other) and a global
variable set by users for the base speed.
Also lower the maximum height the bird can travel to half of what it is now.. a small incremental jumps are better than one giant leap.

my two cents..

Edit:
IN 20 Minutes my score is just 2.
To be honest I didn't see the code.. talking only about the executable.

Last edited:

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
i have updated the project, i forgott to change the pipes y randomly after the pipe exit the screen and start again...
i also added sound possibility BUT i dont know why, if sound is on every time the mediaplayer play a sound the game stuck for a second..

maybe @Erel can help us with it, i would like to make more games that includes some sounds :)

Douglas Farias

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
very nice, first time i see games on b4j xD

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Never mind.. I solved the problem by making the height of vertical gap between the poles higher ;)
But still I think the jump distance of the bird in one click is too high. jumping short distances and clicking many times is much better (I think)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Never mind.. I solved the problem by making the height of vertical gap between the poles higher ;)
But still I think the jump distance of the bird in one click is too high. jumping short distances and clicking many times is much better (I think)

in my opinion the game is made similar to the original game. so speed + jump height are ok. the fact that you scored 2 in 20 min playing is the reason i think everything is ok in this game.

what i think was the reason for such a big success for "flappy bird" is that its so hard to play. because we are talking about a game that has no levels or changes any new situation in the game, you must make it hard. if it would be easy to play then after scoring 50 people will uninstall it.
by making it very hard to play the player will continue trying and trying and trying and trying and trying...
to score more then 2-3 points (in fact i think thats the reason you played for 20 min on a game that your high score was 2!!! :D)

rough calculation that should be about 80 restarts... and with smart advertising you can make a lot of money from such games.

that could be a great key for success if you want to make very simple game without any phenomenal graphics.

FORMULA: SIMPLE + HARD = CONTINUOUSLY PLAYING ;).

btw my high score is 7 (without changing anything in the code)