COLLISION DETECTION

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
"The collision of objects underlies most game experiences and user-interfaces. Baseball bats collide with balls, zombies bump into walls, and Mario lands on platforms and stomps turtles. Even something as simple as clicking a button (a rectangle) with your mouse (a point) is a collision.

This book explains the algorithms behind those collisions using basic shapes like circles, rectangles, and lines so you can implement them into your own projects."

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sure it can be interesting, but...
why not take advantage of X2? Sure, it's not 3D but maybe that "book" isn't on this topic either.

A few days ago I wanted to open a thread and ask members which apps developed with X2 they have published. I think I'll do it now.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting. Just seeing it gives me nightmares... what memoriesšŸ˜°. Years ago that's what you had to do when programming videogames. I myself made a billiards videogame and I had to carry out all these checks (circle-circle, circle-line, circle - polygon), and not only that, because for an exact collision, mandatory in a billiards simulation, when one solid is inside another (in one physics step there is no contact, and in the next one there is one solid inside another one) you have to find the exact point of collision so that the resulting vectors are correct...
Nowadays there are physics engines that incorporate all these calculations and make the programmer's life easier

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting. Just seeing it gives me nightmares... what memoriesšŸ˜°. Years ago that's what you had to do when programming videogames. I myself made a billiards videogame and I had to carry out all these checks (circle-circle, circle-line, circle - polygon), and not only that, because for an exact collision, mandatory in a billiards simulation, when one solid is inside another (in one physics step there is no contact, and in the next one there is one solid inside another one) you have to find the exact point of collision so that the resulting vectors are correct...
Nowadays there are physics engines that incorporate all these calculations and make the programmer's life easier
BTW I like very much your apps!