Coming Soon: B4X-Focused Web Hosting

Are you interested in the B4Cloud service?

• Total voters

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm planning on starting a paid web hosting service exclusively aimed at B4X developers. It will be a paid service and to extend its value I'll also be releasing libraries exclusive to this paid service. I'm trying to get a good idea of how many people would actually sign up so that's why this thread exists. The bandwidth will be unmetered. (Note that Unmetered does not mean Unlimited.)

Pricing:
B4Cloud service (Web Apps and Database Hosting.): $12/month. (That includes the ability to create WordPress and HTML websites as well.)

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice idea but I'm affraid it's too expensive.

for that monthly price you can get your own shared hosting with file space, unlimited mysql databases, mailboxes etc for an entire year.

that's without the libraries taking into account ofcourse but I doubt they're worth the extra $430 a year.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
for that monthly price you can get your own shared hosting with file space, unlimited mysql databases, mailboxes etc for an entire year.
I wasn't aware that you could run B4J apps on shared hosting services. I should remind you that "unlimited" hosting is a scam. (If there was such a thing as "unlimited" everything Google wouldn't be paying billions of dollars per month for hosting.)

However, maybe I'll reduce the price to say like $12/month to capture a larger audience, and to combine multiple memberships into one. (I'm still planning a "ad-free" subscription for my Android apps at $12/yearly.)

Last edited:

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ok, you didn't mention that it was aimed for running java apps on the server side. That's a different case.

But you can have your own VPS for €10/month or less these days to be able to run your java apps/services.
So $12 makes more sense than $39.

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
ok, you didn't mention that it was aimed for running java apps on the server side. That's a different case.

But you can have your own VPS for €10/month or less these days to be able to run your java apps/services.
So $12 makes more sense than $39.

I pay around 10$ a month for a dedicated server (for testing) so $12 a month for shared hosting makes no sense to me at all.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
After much critical thinking, I'm just going to sell the panel by itself so you can BYOH. (Bring Your Own Host.)

I pay around 10$ a month for a dedicated server (for testing) so $12 a month for shared hosting makes no sense to me at all.
A dedicated server that cheap? That's fishy. Very fishy. (YouTube wouldn't be paying millions/billions of dollars for servers for the heck of it ;))

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Prices depend on where you live or host your site.. Or the geo location of the company your reselling.. In US this price is far from realistic. I can pay $25 and become a reseller.. .my customers' domain names resolve to my website.com and provide them with cPanel and all support.

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
After much critical thinking, I'm just going to sell the panel by itself so you can BYOH. (Bring Your Own Host.)

A dedicated server that cheap? That's fishy. Very fishy. (YouTube wouldn't be paying millions/billions of dollars for servers for the heck of it ;))

That's not the cheapest you can get. 6$ is the cheapest I have seen. As for being dodgy that's from a division of a French company called OVH. They host over 260 thousand servers in their data centers.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The catch here is b4j hosting.
Your skills in your profile images scares! You are genius with so many expertise.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you probably mean a "dedicated" VPS server. a real dedicated server will costs you hundreds for a few years since you need to pay back the cost of the real server hardware and not a virtual one.

Edit: I found the culprit. if you want Windows Server on it you need to rent it and that costs an additional €30/month so that's already €40/month for a "server" that is more like a netbook with that slow ATOM processor in it.

Last edited:

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
you probably mean a "dedicated" VPS server. a real dedicated server will costs you hundreds for a few years since you need to pay back the cost of the real server hardware and not a virtual one.

Edit: I found the culprit. if you want Windows Server on it you need to rent it and that costs an additional €30/month so that's already €40/month for a "server" that is more like a netbook with that slow ATOM processor in it.

It obviously depends on your requirements. If you are running a server to support 50 users with a low usage application then the $6 server works fine. If yo are supporting 1 million users with a high usage application then I would be looking at the likes of Amazon Web Services, Azure or Google Cloud Platform.

lemonisdead

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that $12 is a fair price for a reliable host that can run B4J servers.
You are probably right on that point : "reliability"... In my opinion, I would better buy to someone I know and can trust. If for example, Anywhere Software would propose such service I better would choose it as a provider compared to someone I don't already know (we probably all experienced those wonder boys claiming to know what they do and who run out of business or have technical difficulties after some months).
I don't say it is the case here, of course, but before deciding to install some apps I would think a lot about.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you're right. anyone can deliver vps. the difference is between those that host it on cheap "servers" (read elevated PCs) with no or poor raid controller
and those with expensive hardware and having their virtual servers on iSCSI/Fiber based SANs. Speed=a lot money in the server world.

mrred128

Licensed User
Longtime User
And now it's quite evident that given the opportunity, people will argue about price on anything. Provide a good value and service and customers will come. You can't ever please cheapskates; and they will wander to somewhere else for that 'deal'.

victormedranop

Licensed User
Longtime User
A very good idea. but too spensive. i use digital ocean for developer and for production 5 dollar a machine.

victor