B4J Question Compile for java 8

gpa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi...
I wanted to try and compile a version of a program for java 8.
I downloaded j8:
openjdk-8u41-b04-windows-i586-14_jan_2020.zip
And extracted it.
I altered b4j 8.9 path from jdk11 to this version.

Then I try and compile my app, and get this error:

Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for 2097152KB object heap

Any ideas how to resolve that?

Thanks!

gpa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi...
Do you have a link for Oracle JDK 8 - the one I installed was the only suitable one I could find - I though Oracle was no longer free?

Here's the full compiler window@

B4X:
B4J Version: 8.90
Parsing code.    (0.00s)
    Java Version: 8
Building folders structure.    (0.01s)
Compiling code.    (0.01s)
Compiling layouts code.    (0.00s)
Organizing libraries.    (0.00s)
Compiling generated Java code.    Error

Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for 2097152KB object heap

Thanks!

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
@gpa I know you're gonna dig this :cool:👍

1622625194715.png

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
@gpa Yep, they demand that you sign up to download their files so keep your password safe, you will use it multiple times when reinstalling..

Enjoy coding pal :)👍

Upvote 0

gpa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok - so that compiles now, and I can see why it works where the other did not.
It's typical Oracle bloat though! And insists on installing jre and jdk separately. But - it compiles, so back to testing!
Thanks!

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
@gpa Keep in mind that Apple and Microsoft has 135000 employees who implement standardized functionailty into their frameworks. They are hired professionals with a commercial organization that targets millions of end-users. This is the bottleneck of depending on individual developers to update their libraries. Some might go on holliday and not even login to this community for days, weeks, month, even years. As you advance and climb the ladder of success this will get more and more relevant. This means you have to depend on your own as well as others personal relation to you to progress. They key is to get so much status as possible to get all to cover your back. As always money talks so if you can pay for custom tailored solutions you're safe, if you ever get there :)👍

Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
@gpa Yep. I was loyal to Visual Studio/Dot NET core for 15 year but I left it all behind for B4X. Learned C sharp and Entity framework and all that shit.
Crossplatform solutions is the way to go. Check out my project Athena Lite and you will understand. Check it out here

Upvote 0

gpa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting looking project!
I'll have to give it a try... :)

... I always hated dotnet - bloatware runtime, and version hell! Crossplatform is indeed the way to go. It's also amusing to see the different file sizes for your Win, Mac and Linux versions!

Upvote 0