Android Tutorial Compiling through Google Drive Filestream

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Examples' started by bluedude, Jun 5, 2019.

1. bluedude

bluedude Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hi,

Last couple of days I have been testing compilation of B4A programs through Google Drive Filestream. Although it is a little bit slower it has a lot of advantages to do this:

- your OpenJDK resides on Google Drive;
    - your Android SDK resides on Google Drive;
    - your B4A programs and additional libraries reside on Google Drive.

How to do it?

1. Copy all SDK files through Google Drive Filestream (default drive letter G:) into the cloud;
    2. Put OpenJDK also on the same G: drive;
    3. Put all your B4A programs on the G: drive too.

Then you need to change your build configuration paths in B4A under Tools | Configure Paths and point all to the G: drive.

Now open a B4A program and start compilation and it should work.

Why do I want to do this?
    I work on multiple development machines and this makes it easier for me to have everything in one place. Having the most recent SDK centralized is also a plus for me.

Disadvantages
    Speed of course and you need enough storage.
    I haven't tested it very extensive so I guess there will be more disadvantages.

Have fun!

Erel and José J. Aguilar like this.
  2. bluedude

bluedude Well-Known Member Licensed User

I have been testing a little more and probably it's faster to keep your Java files on a local drive, that speeds up stuff.

My extra B4A libs are in the cloud and I must say it works fine from within the B4A interface.

3. aidymp

aidymp Active Member Licensed User

I have always done this with Dropbox, I can move around and still work on my Apps, It has a slight problem as I can compile, and realise I have not done something so recompile and... Well some files are syncing, so cant be deleted or updated... But its a minor inconvenience.

Also look out for leaving the code open on one machine, then going to another and making a big update. Only to overwrite it with an old version!

Aidy

4. sorex

sorex Expert Licensed User

same here with dropbox for serveral (5+) years. only the sources and additional folders tho (and keys/prov.profiles for B4i).

one extra hint I can give... use relative paths for everything (when adding classes/module etc).
    then it doesn't matter if it is located under c:\dropbox on one machine but c:\users\username\dropbox on another one.

DonManfred likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice