Android Question Connect B4A to Samsung GT-P7510 tablet

antedeluvian

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have previously developed for Android under Eclipse and hated it. However I had successfully managed to emulate under Windows 7 and connected to the Samsung Galaxy GT-P7510 10" tablet. The configuration still works.

I have heard good things about B4A and so for a new project (and so that all the Java/Android selections are not affected) I have tried to start the whole development environment on a different Windows 7 machine. I have installed B4A plus Android as directed in the manuals as well as the Samsung USB driver as described in the Google manual (even though it is quite inaccurate, as seems to be the case with Android in general). Following the Beginners Guide, (Section 1.3) I connected the tablet and B4A did add a Samsung to the AVD list. When I try to configure it or create a new one (through AVD Manager) and try and change the Device to "10.1 WXGA (1280 x 800) which is the setting I used under Eclipse (see below for the settings) and then click on OK.
upload_2015-9-8_15-56-45.png

I get this (which seems OK)
upload_2015-9-8_15-57-52.png

When I go back to the AVD Manager and select and edit the device, the Device selection is blank
as below and it says "No device selected"

upload_2015-9-8_16-1-3.png

Obviously trying to "Start/Launch" it will generate an error, but in case there are any clues, here is the result
upload_2015-9-8_16-4-37.png

There are no other settings that seem to match this tablet. Since the name "Galaxy" does appear amongst some of the options (the Galaxy Nexus) I also tried that but it also failed with the identical emulator error as above.

Also if I still choose the 10.1" WXGA and uncheck the "Use Host GPU" the same de-selection of the device occurs.

I must be missing something, and any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• figure 1.JPG
    figure 1.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 148

antedeluvian

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am trying to use a real device.

At the beginning of section 1.3 "Installing the Android Emulator" it states "
"You can also connect a real device to the IDE and run the program on your actual device instead of

running it on the virtual device:"

After some playing around I discovered that you don't need to run the AVD at all (not the case in Eclipse, which is where my confusion arose). Simply running the code will download to the real device.

Upvote 0