Android Question Controlling DAW using MIDI

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well from a midi controller you can.
I just bought, still waiting for it to arrive, a Nektar Impact LX61+ and they provide software that lets you control most common DAWs such as Cubase, Logic Pro X, Studio One, and many more directly from the midi controller.
They might be using some APIs which the DAW producers supply but I am not sure. For instance, one of the few DAWs that Nektar does not work 100% with is Ableton Live because apparently Abelton does not release the API to everyone. Maybe the APIs for the other DAWs are available if you ask each one?
Anyway, there might be other ways....Cubase has an internal Learning Function which lets you assign MIDI-messages for certain values/controls. Maybe MIDI can be used exclusively?
Sorry but more than this, I cannot help. Keep us updated if you find a way.

Upvote 0

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well from a midi controller you can.
I just bought, still waiting for it to arrive, a Nektar Impact LX61+ and they provide software that lets you control most common DAWs such as Cubase, Logic Pro X, Studio One, and many more directly from the midi controller.
They might be using some APIs which the DAW producers supply but I am not sure. For instance, one of the few DAWs that Nektar does not work 100% with is Ableton Live because apparently Abelton does not release the API to everyone. Maybe the APIs for the other DAWs are available if you ask each one?
Anyway, there might be other ways....Cubase has an internal Learning Function which lets you assign MIDI-messages for certain values/controls. Maybe MIDI can be used exclusively?
Sorry but more than this, I cannot help. Keep us updated if you find a way.
Why Impact? I have the P6 and it's a monster :)

Upvote 0

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is possible, you would need to write a server to run on the device that the daw is running on and use something like midiloop to complete the interface.

Upvote 0