Android Question Creating DIFFERENT App Versions in my Device

Guardian17

Licensed User
Longtime User
Let's say I want to create several Release forms of my App while testing it and I want each version of the App to load into my device with it's own screen icon (not necessarily different from one version to another) and it's own caption under that icon (definitely needed to easily determine one version from another ... e.g.: "AppName001" vs "AppName002").

What minimally defines one App from another so that I can have several versions loaded into my device (each using its own Device resources)?

I realize that if I actually want the icon to appear differently, I need to change the "icon.xxx" image in the "Objects\res\drawable" folder.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Set a different Packagename on each App you write

packagename001.png

packagename002.png

Upvote 0

Guardian17

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you. I thought it had something to do with the Package Name, but I wasn't sure if anything ELSE also needed to be changed.

Upvote 0

Guardian17

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes. Thank you.

Clarification: although NOT changing the ApplicationLabel will still allow the App to be installed as a separate App, the caption that appears below the App Icon will not have changed if you do not change the ApplicationLabel name. If you do not change the Icon and do not change the ApplicationLabel name, you will end up with two icons that look the same with the same icon name below them, even though they may represent two versions of the same general App.

Upvote 0

ivan.tellez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Use Custom Build Action One to change the icons and other resourses.

B4X:
#If Full
    #CustomBuildAction: 1, c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, /c copy D:\B4A\logoFull.png D:\B4A\App\Files\logo.png
    #CustomBuildAction: 1, c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, /c copy D:\B4A\IconFull.png D:\B4A\App\Objects\res\drawable\icon.png
#End If

#If Free
    #CustomBuildAction: 1, c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, /c copy D:\B4A\logoFree.png D:\B4A\App\Files\logo.png
    #CustomBuildAction: 1, c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe, /c copy D:\B4A\IconFree.png D:\B4A\App\Objects\res\drawable\icon.png
#End If

Upvote 0