Android Question Deny access to a folder inside DirDefaultExternal

GiovanniPolese

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi to All
I have 30 Gb (or more) data that I must store on a Tablet (with 64 GB space).. I don't want the user to access them, even for reading, i.e. I don't want that these data may be copied elsewhere. At present, data are inside a DirDefaultExternal folder. The ideal place should be DirDefaultInternal, but, due to the size, in a previous post I learned that I cannot store them in DirDefaultInternal. Therefore the question arises whether I can block the access, either by File Explorers on Tablet or by computer connected by an Usb cable. In other words, only the App should be able to manage the above mentioned data. Even better should be that the folder containing the data wasn't visible (DirDefaulExternal folders are always visible with a cable connection). Is this possible? Thanks.

MicroDrie

Licensed User
There may be a difference between the maximum allowed app size and the maximum allowed directory size. So what if you install the app without the data and then transfer the data to the DirDefaultExternal folder via the app? This approach falls under the growth of the stored data (which may be related to the maximum file size) and that is different from the maximum dimensions of an app to be installed.

Upvote 0

GiovanniPolese

Licensed User
Longtime User
There may be a difference between the maximum allowed app size and the maximum allowed directory size. So what if you install the app without the data and then transfer the data to the DirDefaultExternal folder via the app? This approach falls under the growth of the stored data (which may be related to the maximum file size) and that is different from the maximum dimensions of an app to be installed.
Thanks for your reply, but what you say seems not related to my problem, at least as I understand (forgive if wrong). I neither said that my app has a big size, nor that I have problems to transfer data to DirDefaultExternal. Moreover I don't have any problem on file size. I wrote that my data, actually 1000 files or more, globally are more than 30 Gb and that, at the end, I don't want that these files may be copied out from the tablet to elsewhere. If data were written to DirDefaultInternal, my goal is reached: as a matter of fact DirDefaultInternal is only accessible with the App itself, neither with Tablet File Explorers nor with a computer File Explorer connected by USB cable. BUT i cannot put 30 Gb on DirDefaultInternal. Therefore I must put data in DirDefaultExternal. (Actually in a folder Tablet/Android/data/App.name/files..etc). BUT this latter folder, despite not always visible by common Tablet File Explorer, is ANYWAY accessible by a computer, connecting an USB cable to the tablet. In fact I normally copy the big data from Computer to Tablet (so,what you say is actually my normal practice). What I ask is to hide the folder where the data are stored, nothing about file or app size or how to copy data to the Tablet. Maybe now I explained better. Thanks for your attention.

Upvote 0