Develop Windows apps with Basic4android? What do you think?

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That sounds good to me, but I will also like more official libraries and improve/expand the ones we currently have.

I personally will always use B4A for Android development, but, depending on how the new "desktop" feature works I might take a look at it.

B4A rules regardless. :)

Last edited:

Theera

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sounds so good. I think that I have ever said "I love B4A so much" over 100 times.:)
It could developed windows apps on window mobile,coundn't it?

urikupfer

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think that the future is in the mobile surround , even Microsoft understood it , they have the free vb.net and c# versions which are hard to challenge .
b4a is just great it's simple and fun , but it have competitions , some are free and some very expensive,
I think that it will be beater to put more energy in the libraries (even make it compatible with jar files) , and make it compatible for apple and windows mobile.
uri

Robert Grimmett

Licensed User
Longtime User
Amazing idea .. it would mean i could build an app and release it for my entire office.. (the ios version would be nice too)

BobsYourUncle

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

For a product to succeed it must solve a real world problem.
B4A is a great success as it solves the problem of learning complex Java/xml. In addition, it makes development of apps quick - and for a business this is crucial, as quick means low cost.

IOS development is complex with Objective C and creatiing any kind of App takes a long time and is really expensive for a business. ***This is the problem to solve***. (Windows is basically dead isn't it? - in terms of number of users. Certainly is in the mobile market. Also less and less PCs sold every year).

There are probably more IOS devices than Android, although Android is rapidly growing. I would have paid double or tripple the price for B4A, and I certainly would for B4iOS.

Could you not create a generic iOS host App that B4iOS 'installs' our developed App into. Our developed App could be HTML5/Javascript based (or something else) and the host app would provide access to functions on the operating system that HTML5/Javascript (or something else) would not normally have? B4iOS would allow us to write in nice easy Basic and create Apps quickly. B4iOS would then do it's magic and convert the Basic to HTML5/Javascript (or something else) and run our App inside the host container.

We don't necessarily need a B4A saveAs option, to save as iOS. **We just need any easy way of creating iOS apps**.

We all love what you have done with B4A. Can you help us with iOS?.....

Bob

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
As I wrote it is obvious that there is a high demand for a "Basic4iOS" solution. However you (or actually I ;)) always need to weigh the effort required. Building a solution for iOS is much more difficult than the solution that is discussed in this thread.

For now I prefer to focus on Android. A Windows / Linux solution will be a "bonus". Not a strategic shift.

wimpie3

Licensed User
Longtime User
For those wanting to develop for IOS and Android at the same time, there is AIR from Adobe. Works fine, but it is too slow, you can "feel" that your app is not native.

Where I work people are moving away from Java... it is a good solution for a professional environment, but too complicated for the end users with all those different JRE's and JDK's full of security holes...

I'm not a fan of those "extra" things flying around B4A right now... the DB bridge, now this Windows idea... the debugger is cool, but there certainly are more interesting things on my whishlist... that's just my opinion though, perhaps other people have other needs.

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
As I wrote it is obvious that there is a high demand for a "Basic4iOS" solution. However you (or actually I ;)) always need to weigh the effort required. Building a solution for iOS is much more difficult than the solution that is discussed in this thread.

For now I prefer to focus on Android. A Windows / Linux solution will be a "bonus". Not a strategic shift.

Basic4iOS then Basic4WindowsPhone then Basic4Tizen...? No, please just focus on Basic4Android! :D

HotShoe

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no doubt that there is a high demand to an iOS version. However technically it is a completely different story.

I don't think IOS is in the cards. We have stopped developing for IOS because of Apples control freak attitude. After telling me I had to change my development method (compiler used, environments, etc.) I told them to take a hike. You now have to use only "approved" compilers, languages, etc. On top of that, they want us to pay them yearly for the privilege of supporting their devices.

--- Jem

dilettante

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm still new here so not knowing the ropes I hope I don't offend by dragging in additional topics or ones that get too many backs up.

Directly on topic, I think creating Windows applications using B4A is a fantastic concept!

My thinking on this goes like (a.) sure we could just write Java/Swing (NetBeans) and be done with it, (b.) lots of people are familiar, comfortable, and happy with VB6 but not so much the state it is in (just for example the lack of API support for cloud services and so many other post-stoneage things), (c.) even if B4A is used as a tool to leverage your way into Java development it makes as much good sense on Windows as on Android.

Here's where I fall off topic, and maybe this belongs in a thread of its own:

Considering where Microsoft is headed with Windows post-Win7 and the fact that after two years we are not seeing a change in direction... it is shocking to me how few hobby, casual biz, and small/medium Line-O-Biz programmers are not aware of the wall they may soon run into. As the "desktop" (win32) gets closer and closer to being locked down aside from whitelisted applications (mostly from Microsoft) and WinRT is the only user programmable platform these issues will come front and center. We've seen the preview in the Windows RT OS (think Surface). But it is coming to plain old Windows as well.

I'm not sure people are paying attention to this: Difficult to impossible deployment story. Highly restricted sandboxing (no filesystem access, no database connections, no TCP/IP access to localhost, etc.). And of course the entirely new process lifecycle, UI patterns, and API to learn, though that's more of a "moving cheese" issue.

An ability to target Windows' "desktop" with B4A helps these people two ways. One, it gets them another alternative desktop development tool with some real advantages. Two, it gets them ready for the inevitable move from Windows Client altogether, i.e. to Android.

Not everyone will take this road. Some will try to transition to WinRT and swim upstream against the heavy tide. Others may buy into iOS. But Android is shaping up into a real alternative as a desktop OS even though it isn't there yet. When Windows 9 or Windows 10 arrives in just a few years with a locked down desktop application environment Android could be there to pick up the pieces.

So a B4A that can generate Windows desktop Java applications coupled with getting the story out about "the death of Windows development" could be a package of pretty compelling evangelism. Learn and use it now, let it be your liferaft in the near future.

Mivo

Licensed User
Longtime User
Good place for my first post. Hi!

I'd love that ability. When I decided to resurrect some programming "skills" that I may have had some depressing 25 years ago (GFA Basic, early VB, etc.), I'd ideally have liked a language that allows me to produce code for both Android and Windows. Java and such would have been obvious choices, but they really weren't appealing. Ditched the idea of crossplatform-platform support and went with B4A. Now I read this and it sounds very delicious! Definitely in favor. :)

electronik54

Licensed User
Longtime User
i saw this post on Facebook i initially i thought windows app meant WP8 apps then i cam here and came to it was for desktop :( ....
well still i think this is great too.