Develop Windows apps with Basic4android? What do you think?

MiniDemonic

Licensed User
Longtime User
I would like that, my current way of making applications to communicate with android apps is either RealBasic or c# but being able to do everything in B4A would make it awesome.

devlei

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I am not an expert in any of these areas, but I think B4A is brilliant - easy to learn, brilliant Forum, very affordable, and very RAD!
If B4A can be used to develop for other platforms it would be really great. Other products are starting to do this (XE5), so I think it is the right direction.

Would it not be possible to kill many birds with one stone and develop a B4HTML5? Quite a number of well known Android Apps (eg Facebook) often run better in a browser than the App itself.

MiniDemonic

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

I am not an expert in any of these areas, but I think B4A is brilliant - easy to learn, brilliant Forum, very affordable, and very RAD!
If B4A can be used to develop for other platforms it would be really great. Other products are starting to do this (XE5), so I think it is the right direction.

Would it not be possible to kill many birds with one stone and develop a B4HTML5? Quite a number of well known Android Apps (eg Facebook) often run better in a browser than the App itself.

HTML5 would be bad tbh, you don't have access to the system the same way as a native app does, also the reason Facebook and stuff is better in a browser is because all those website are designed and is meant to be run in a browser, of course the app will be bad because it doesn't have the same amount of employees working on it and it they haven't worked on it as long as the website.

LA3QMA

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm using different development tools for windows and linux so for me this B4A functionality is not important.

alienhunter

Licensed User
Longtime User
Based on the implementation of the rapid debugger, it may be possible in the future to develop standard Java applications (applications that can run on Windows / Linux / Mac and other OSs). Many of the libraries are standard Java libraries. So they will work as is.

For example, it will be quite simple to develop a desktop app that communicates with the Android app.

So what do YOU think? Will such a solution be useful for you?

that would be great
right now i am using B4A with Virtual Machines on Windows to have the same APP that i am
using on a tablet , that would eliminate all this Virtual Machine thing ...

I volunteer for trial beta anything that i can help to get this going :)

Last edited:

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wouldn't use it. Visual Studio is free, and you have your choice of languages. With VS, you can target any Windows platform, and the runtimes are built into the OS. What compelling reason would you have to move to a paid IDE that would always be 2nd rate? Not meaning to have a go at B4A, but VS is very widely accepted as the best Development IDE.
Basic, C#, F#, C++ and a bunch of other languages are all supported. That's a very tough act to beat.
Sorry.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The purpose is not to create a Windows development tool. The purpose is to allow you to take your existing projects and convert them to windows / linux. So for example if you created an enterprise solution that runs on Android you will also be able to quite simply create a desktop app out of this.

Vader

Licensed User
Longtime User
The purpose is not to create a Windows development tool. The purpose is to allow you to take your existing projects and convert them to windows / linux. So for example if you created an enterprise solution that runs on Android you will also be able to quite simply create a desktop app out of this.
Well, that's different. If that's the intent, then great. I can see a use for it now.

shashkiranr

Licensed User
Longtime User

Really ..!!! If this is possible it would be a big achievement Erel :) :) Please Make it possible. This will definitely help most of my projects and all my clients will be very happy :)

I want it !! :) :)

rbsoft

Licensed User
Longtime User
Great idea! A quick solution to write applications that run on Windows and Linux! In an excellent programming environment!

What more do you want?

Rolf

tboy

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think this option would be a great addition to this already brilliant product.

However, I feel the efforts would be better spent on Android development for the time being.

If Erel worked on this extension for B4A would this hindrance the current development of B4A?

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
If Erel worked on this extension for B4A would this hindrance the current development of B4A?
This is an important point. This is why Basic4iOS is not happening for now.

However a standard Java solution is much simpler and will require less resources. It will also make Basic4android better as it will allow developers to more easily build the back end side. This is especially relevant for enterprise developers that build in-house solutions.