Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it was found on Uranus

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hopefully not....

I believe that the great filter is an attitude filter. With our current attitude the great filter is in front of us. If you see the first 15 minutes of the movie "2001 - A space odyssey" you will see that from the dawn of humanity until now we are just apes fighting for the same resources with an "I am invincible and I deserve to rule the planet" attitude. There is the drake equation (see the thread "If we cannot speak to friends and neighbours then let's talk to aliens" - https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...urs-directly-then-lets-talk-to-aliens.115083/ ). The factor L in this equation indicates that if an alien species lives long to reach the level of interstellar travel it will be a wise one and not hostile at all. That is because it will have passed the great attitude filter and that it respects 3 laws of survival:
1) Get in an equilibrium with your environment
2) Always have a taste of the other one's position - that is respect every life form's needs and freedom
3) Always have a taste of the after - that is plan your moves for the better survival of yourself, of the other life forms and of the environment.

It is sad that we do not follow anyone of these rules and as a result we are heading for our doom. You may also add a 'yet' in the last sentence.

Last edited:

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It depends on what we define "life". In our common definition a stone is not life. But other species could see it differently, perceiving something we can't, and so define it a living something. So, in a broad sense, we should believe there's life in the universe other than the one we generally accept.
If we expect to meet our twins..well, it will be difficult. if they exist they will probably face the same problems we experience everyday (natural ones and tech one) so the probability of a great reunion is not so high, in my humble opinion.
Anyway, let's start to behave better with our neighbours next door..ehehe

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
If I was another form of intelligent life, I wouldn't come anywhere near us. We cant even solve starvation on a planet teaming with life and resources. Until we all shed our dog eat dog mentality, we don't have anything to offer. Present company excluded

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't see why not; we're an excellent source of protein. (Assuming that it's a good thing for alien lifeforms, naturally.)

Wow, my dream was to be M&M for an alien species. 😁😁😁

Unobtainius

Licensed User
Longtime User
Apparently they have been living among us for years and the whole COVID thing is just a cover for DNA testing to see who still human 😁

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
Hopefully not....
spoken like a True Martian
my dream was to be M&M for an alien species.
Not unless you're living backwards "Through the Looking Glass"
“If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
[Either Tweedledum or Tweedledee]

Evidently ->
"the simplest explanation is most likely the right one".

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I hope we never find any life in the outer space, so we don't mess with their environment or worst, exterminate them.

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Evidently ->
"the simplest explanation is most likely the right one".

Absolutely true for most of the cases. The thing is that right now the measurements give us 20 molecules per million while all the simpler explanations (at least that we know of) give us a much lower value as a result. What ever the answer is (life or a procedure we do now know that creates phosphine) it will be a new one for us.

Edit - Apparently someone couldn't sleep. :) We are in the same timezone and you answered 2:18 at the morning...

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I hope we never find any life in the outer space, so we don't mess with their environment or worst, exterminate them.

There are laws for the space that were created when the space race begun. The thing is that it is in the human nature that wherever there is a law, one can find out a way out of it.

Edit - If in your avatar is exactly your photo then I suppose you worry about your civilization being threaten by ours ;)

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Edit - If in your avatar is exactly your photo then I suppose you worry about your civilization being threaten by ours ;)

Not far from the truth. Our universe colleague.
This is part of full photo that I shot (among others) from an art gallery in China, OCT Town, Shenzhen, China

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
and you answered 2:18 at the morning...
[edit] well we don't do daylight saving so it was 01h18 🤔.

Worried stiff about life "on" Venus I was - did it get there before me? Where are her arms. Is this her bikini? 👙. Will she come to visit - that sort of stuff.... 😁

Last edited: