B4J Question Digitizing Location From Google Maps Website

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
I need to capture the Lat & Long of a large number of locations. The process will begin with a textual search rather like the one the Google Maps website facilitates. I thought perhaps then I could parse the Lat & Long from the returned URL as an easy solution.

Trying this within a B4J WebView I draw a blank. The map loads OK with my default home location and it pans/scans & zooms as expected. So far so good... However the search facility does not work and I can't see how to handle a click event on the map to return the URL that has the position embedded within.

Can this be done easily using a WebView or should I move directly to using the Google Maps API?

RichardN

Licensed User
Longtime User
For those who might be considering projects that explore URL manipulation through the native WebView....

Trying to manipulate the Google Maps website through the WebView control with find that certain aspects of URL harvesting are perfectly possible but ultimately it is far easier to employ the GoogleMaps library. You could find yourself wasting quite a lot of time in trying to make the WebView do things it was never designed to do.

Upvote 0