Android Code Snippet Disable automatic redirections with OkHttpUtils2

Step 1: Add to build configuration (Ctrl + B): HU2_PUBLIC
Step 2: Add to starter service:
B4X:
Sub Service_Create
    Dim jo As JavaObject = HttpUtils2Service.hc
    Dim builder As JavaObject = jo.RunMethod("sharedInit", Array("hc"))
    builder.RunMethod("followRedirects", Array(False))
    builder.RunMethod("followSslRedirects", Array(False))
    jo.SetField("client", builder.RunMethod("build", Null))
End Sub

Step 3: Test:
B4X:
Sub Activity_Create(FirstTime As Boolean)
    Dim j As HttpJob
    j.Initialize("", Me)
    j.Download("https://www.b4x.com/b4a")
    Wait For (j) JobDone(j As HttpJob)
    If j.Success Then
        Log(j.Response.StatusCode)
    Else If Floor(j.Response.StatusCode / 100) = 3 Then
        Log("Moved to: " & j.Response.GetHeaders.Get("location"))
    End If
    j.Release
End Sub
Depends on: JavaObject

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
If Floor(j.Response.StatusCode / 100) = 3 Then
If anyone wonders about that part of the code, that's because the server can reply with a status code in the range 300-399 (in reality it's probably only 300-308). All of them means that the requested document has been moved for some reason, to another url.

Why is this important? Depending on your situation, you are expected to handle them in different ways. If, for instance, you use a list of urls to access documents, and the server responds with a 301, it means that the document has moved to a new location permanently. You are expected to update your url list with the new url so you don't use the old url anymore.

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTTP_status_codes#3xx_Redirection

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Why is this important? Depending on your situation, you are expected to handle them in different ways. If, for instance, you use a list of urls to access documents, and the server responds with a 301, it means that the document has moved to a new location permanently. You are expected to update your url list with the new url so you don't use the old url anymore.
In most cases you don't need to worry about it at all, as OkHttp automatically handles redirects.

MotoMusher

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there another piece to this I may be missing? It's saying hc is an unknown member. I *believe* that I am having problems with redirects, but I'm not 100% sure at this point so I'd like to turn it off. I have a simple test app now that uses OKHttpUtils2 (2.91) to interact with Backblaze. JavaObject (2.05) library is included. B4A 9.80

1605555359611.png

Symptom I suspect with the redirects shows as the following, (I know that's off topic but posting in case someone asks "why" i want to turn off redirects). I'd like to turn off redirects so I can get the message from the initial postbytes if it is in fact redirecting.

"ResponseError. Reason: java.net.ProtocolException: Too many follow-up requests: 21, Response: "