Do we all have supportive partners for our b4x hobby?

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My wife is supportive of my hobby(s) as long as it doesn't affect our family time.

I'm lucky that I only need about 5 hours of sleep, so I do most of my programming at night when wife and son are sleeping.
Sometimes she asks what I'm working on, but once I try to explain it she usually turns around and walks away :D. She's not interested in technology at all and i don't think it's necessary. As long as you both respect each others personal time and hobby's there's no need for any conflict about this.
I totally agree. Same thing here.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
Those of You who have partners that accept or even support You are to be congratulated.

Until I got divorced it was always a source of conflict. It was only when the kids was ill that it was good that I stayed up during the nights. But it didn't mean anything in the long run. In the end it was one of the things that led to the divorce.

I think the best is if both are real nerds on something! Then we can understand each other perfectly well ;-)
At least, that's my experience I have today :)

Thanks for the post, it helps to know others are in similar situations. I ahve made great changes to my life since meeting my wife, and being honest, there are times when I miss being able to do the things I enjoyed. Like playing games, watching sci-fi TV programs and writing games, all of which my wife now frowns on greatly and tells me I shouldn't really be doing. At times I've got so frustrated I fantasize getting divorced and then being able to focus my time on what I want, this is mainly while sat watching Britains got talent, or some Sunday night murder drama when I'd rather be on the PC or using my VR headset. But we have children so that changes matters greatly. MY hope is that my current hobby will develop into my full time job and that's how things will work out, then I can spend all my time on it and it will be supporting my family.

Lahksman

Licensed User
Longtime User
there are times when I miss being able to do the things I enjoyed.

I think most of us feel the same way. That's a down side (if you can call it that) of having a relationship.
You have to divide the little free time you have between family and hobby.

Personally I don't have too many hobby's (B4X and billiards). But it happens that i'm away for 3-4 night in a week for tournaments and competition, in such weeks my wife also complains (who can blame her). Those are weeks that I hardly do any programming an devote the rest of my free time solely on my family.

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dont stress out...we are all in that situation. There is only so much time in a day, and you eventually have to give up one thing you love. Keep trying to balance it and hang in there. Let your brain work through problems whilst watching mindless shows, and unleash the optimizations once you get back to your PC.
...but yeah...i gave up too after i had my second son...partially because i didnt see good results and partially i need to spend more time with them.

melonZgz

Licensed User
Longtime User
My wife isn't all supportive I'd wish, but thanks to my games earnings I've bought a PS4, games, a 49' Samsung Smart TV and our last hollidays, so...

Personally I don't have too many hobby's (B4X and billiards). But it happens that i'm away for 3-4 night in a week for tournaments and competition, in such weeks my wife also complains (who can blame her). Those are weeks that I hardly do any programming an devote the rest of my free time solely on my family.
Same here, programming and billiards as hobbies! I even have a pool game in progress...

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've bought a PS4, games, a 49' Samsung Smart TV and our last hollidays, so...
yeah, that's pretty much my story, I know it's not definite, but I've convinced my wife the incomke will go up if I release more games, and with her going on maternity leave soon she can't really argue back.